May 30, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
Former Mariner and Red Wladimir Balentien has 12 homers in only 45 games for the Yakult Swallows. But after a fast start that gave him those power numbers, he has slumped, going homerless in 50 straight at bats and seeing his average drop over a 100 points.
So he tweeted about it, the other night. He just picked a bad time to do it:
Former major league baseballer Wladimir Balentien has been warned by his Japanese team the Yakult Swallows for updating his twitter account during a 10-0 loss.
Balentien, who has been in the midst of a prolonged slump, tweeted “I will never give up” just before the end of Monday’s 10-0 loss to the Seibu Lions. He was sent to Yakult’s minor league team on Tuesday.
It’s unclear if the demotion was due to the tweeting or the slumping. But either way, not the kind of thing that flies in the NPB I imagine.
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 0
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 42
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 22
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 19
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)