May 30, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
Former Mariner and Red Wladimir Balentien has 12 homers in only 45 games for the Yakult Swallows. But after a fast start that gave him those power numbers, he has slumped, going homerless in 50 straight at bats and seeing his average drop over a 100 points.
So he tweeted about it, the other night. He just picked a bad time to do it:
Former major league baseballer Wladimir Balentien has been warned by his Japanese team the Yakult Swallows for updating his twitter account during a 10-0 loss.
Balentien, who has been in the midst of a prolonged slump, tweeted “I will never give up” just before the end of Monday’s 10-0 loss to the Seibu Lions. He was sent to Yakult’s minor league team on Tuesday.
It’s unclear if the demotion was due to the tweeting or the slumping. But either way, not the kind of thing that flies in the NPB I imagine.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 50
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 62
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)