May 31, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
A.J. Burnett‘s overall numbers are plenty good, as last night’s seven innings of one-run ball versus the Reds lowered his ERA to 3.60 in 50 innings.
However, one terrible start against the Cardinals on May 2 accounts for 60 percent of the earned runs Burnett has allowed all season. Seriously.
He coughed up 12 runs in 2.2 innings versus St. Louis that day and if you remove that ugly outing from his season totals Burnett has a 1.52 ERA and 40/13 K/BB ratio in 47 innings while holding opponents to a .208 batting average.
That one ugly start still happened, of course, so completely ignoring it would be silly, but considering how disappointing he was for the Yankees and how many people wrote him off as washed up Burnett deserves some attention. And the Pirates are looking plenty smart for taking him off the Yankees’ hands for pennies on the dollar.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 10
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights