May 31, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
A.J. Burnett‘s overall numbers are plenty good, as last night’s seven innings of one-run ball versus the Reds lowered his ERA to 3.60 in 50 innings.
However, one terrible start against the Cardinals on May 2 accounts for 60 percent of the earned runs Burnett has allowed all season. Seriously.
He coughed up 12 runs in 2.2 innings versus St. Louis that day and if you remove that ugly outing from his season totals Burnett has a 1.52 ERA and 40/13 K/BB ratio in 47 innings while holding opponents to a .208 batting average.
That one ugly start still happened, of course, so completely ignoring it would be silly, but considering how disappointing he was for the Yankees and how many people wrote him off as washed up Burnett deserves some attention. And the Pirates are looking plenty smart for taking him off the Yankees’ hands for pennies on the dollar.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)