May 31, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Jim Duquette once gave Scott Kazmir to the Rays for Victor Zambrano. But now he’s giving up something even more valuable, and this time not one damn person is going to criticize him for it:
Former Mets GM Jim Duquette, who now contributes part time to Mets radio broadcasts, will donate a kidney to his daughter Lindsey in a transplant to be performed June 4, The NephCure Foundation announced.
Lindsey, now 8, has been dealing with a rare kidney disease known as FSGS since shortly after her birth, when Duquette served as Mets GM. He has been active in trying to raise awareness and funding for research. Lindsey has been on dialysis for the past year.
Sad, happy and wonderful all at the same time. Good on ya, Jim. And good luck to you and your daughter on Monday and beyond.
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 35
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 47
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 27
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)