Former Mets GM Jim Duquette is donating a kidney to his daughter

May 31, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT

Jim Duquette

Jim Duquette once gave Scott Kazmir to the Rays for Victor Zambrano. But now he’s giving up something even more valuable, and this time not one damn person is going to criticize him for it:

Former Mets GM Jim Duquette, who now contributes part time to Mets radio broadcasts, will donate a kidney to his daughter Lindsey in a transplant to be performed June 4, The NephCure Foundation announced.

Lindsey, now 8, has been dealing with a rare kidney disease known as FSGS since shortly after her birth, when Duquette served as Mets GM. He has been active in trying to raise awareness and funding for research. Lindsey has been on dialysis for the past year.

Sad, happy and wonderful all at the same time.  Good on ya, Jim. And good luck to you and your daughter on Monday and beyond.

1. Chris Fiorentino - May 31, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Kudos to Jim Duquette. I have a young daughter myself and I like to think I’d do the same for mine. But it still takes a lot of cohones.

Quick Stupid Question for the medical people around here…how do they put the kidney of an adult into the body of an 8 year old? Wouldn’t it be too big?

• pellypell - May 31, 2012 at 11:56 AM

The transplanted kidney is not placed at the site of the original kidneys but is placed in the lower belly. A child can receive an adult kidney, since by a certain age (usually older than 2 years) there is enough space in the belly to fit the new kidney.

I think this was probably an easy decision for Dan to make. I wish him luck.

• Chris Fiorentino - May 31, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Thanks for the knowledge…

2. mybrunoblog - May 31, 2012 at 11:50 AM

“Any man can be a father but it takes someone special to be a dad”
    Best wishes to the Duquettes. Godspeed.

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 31, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Went through the same thing a bunch of years back (my sister had FSGS). The surgery for the donor has really improved since then. When I did it, they had to slice through all of the muscles in the back to get the kidney out. Now they make a couple of small incisions and basically vacuum that sucker out of there. It greatly reduces the physical trauma and the recovery time.

The only downside for the recipient is the anti-rejection medication that keeps your immune system suppressed. It basically means she takes the same precautions as an AIDS patient would, since her body is less able to fight off infections and such. However, the quality of life is greatly improved from having to go through dialysis 3 times a week, or whatever other treatments she is currently enduring for the FSGS.

Hoping for a successful surgery, speedy recovery and long life of happiness ahead.

4. seeinred87 - May 31, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I don’t have kids yet, but from what I gather from people who do, this wasn’t even a decision for him. I know I’d do it for one of my brothers without hesitation.

5. pisano - May 31, 2012 at 5:41 PM

God bless him and his daughter.

6. savetofavorites - Jun 1, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Fantastic, life-affirming gesture.

Terrible, TERRIBLE judgement on that opening sentence.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate