Hawk Harrelson took 16 Advil after his rant yesterday

May 31, 2012, 2:01 PM EST

hawk harrelson

Still loving Hawk Harrelson’s freakout following Jose Quintana’s ejection in yesterday’s White Sox-Rays game.  But maybe we should be less amused and have more sympathy, because as he told the hosts on 670 The Score this morning, his ravings left him in dire need of medication:

How he feels about the rant now that it is a day later:

“First of all I still have a headache because I got so upset yesterday. I took four Advil after that inning was over and then I had to take four more on the plane and then when I got home last night I had to take four more. Also when I got up this morning I had to take four more. It was a good series, the guy should not have thrown Quintana out, it was a mistake, and like I said the warnings should have been issued when A.J. got drilled and it was just sad. I said what I said and meant what I said. As far as the team goes it was a heck of a road trip.”

He gone! As will his stomach lining be soon!

1. The Common Man - May 31, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Four Advil at a time? Good lord. Hawk is over the top about everything.

• fearlessleader - May 31, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I can’t believe I’m defending Hawk in any way, but that’s not much—prescription ibuprofen comes in 800-mg pills, which is the same as four of the over-the-counter variety.

My pharmaceutical beef with him is that Advil is the wrong drug. Xanax would be more like it.

• dprat - May 31, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Yup, once had a raging headache while on vacation in Spain. Stopped in the local pharmacy, asked for “ibuprofena,” and was surprised when they handed me a foil pack of the 800 mg version. One of those did the trick fast, though.

• Jonny 5 - May 31, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I usually need 4 to stop the brain from hurting. Sometimes 3 will do the trick. I would never take 16 in 24 hours though, that’s asking for other trouble imo.

• ajcardsfan - May 31, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Why take 16 Advil, when you could have taken just 4 Aleve?!?

• kopy - May 31, 2012 at 3:27 PM

You would have to eat 32 bowls of Raisin Bran to get the same amount of calcium contained in just one bowl of Total!

2. mattintoledo - May 31, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Hawk’s doctor scolds him for disregarding Advil label.

Hawk: That’s just awful, Doc! You gotta be bleepin’ me! That just shows me you don’t know anything headaches. You gotta be kiddin’ me! You need to….You need to go back to medical school! That’s terrible!

• ame123 - May 31, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Mercy!

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 31, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I thought Hawk’s medication was simply a can o’ corn.

3. atworkident - May 31, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Imagine how many Leyland had to take after that umps blow call… or Matt Wieters after that umpires blown calls.

Seems to be a trend of bad umpiring going on. At least the league is looking into it…

• mattintoledo - May 31, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Pretty sure Leyland medicates with Marlboros.

• dowhatifeellike - May 31, 2012 at 2:22 PM

That O’s/Jays game was pretty bad. The strike zone was from the shins to the letters and wide on both sides. I stopped watching even before the Wieters ejection because, as a fan of the game in general, I was getting angry about the strike zone.

I thought the umpiring was decent the last few weeks, but the past week or so had not been good. At least, not in the games I’ve seen.

4. illcomm - May 31, 2012 at 2:17 PM

He could of just drank more water.

• Max Power - May 31, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Is this a reference to something? Seems like a reference that I’m missing.

• mattintoledo - May 31, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I’m guessing it’s a joke that the headache was from drinking as opposed to stress over the bad call.

5. eric174 - May 31, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I don’t know the announcer for the White Sox or his history.

Sadly this has taken away from the issue here which is…

The umpire was dead wrong to eject the guy. This isn’t maybe he was wrong, or could have been safe..
    He was completely wrong to eject the guy.
    One thing announcer was right about-There is zero accountability for the umpires and
    their mistakes. I can’t be the only one who thinks something has to change with that.

I also can’t be the only one who thinks the umpiring in general has been really poor all season.

• Victor's Secret - May 31, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Agreed that the umpiring has been bad this year, but I don’t think it was in that case. There’d been some bad blood earlier in the series (Pierzynski cleats up into Zobrist, then Pierzynski got plunked the next game), and that pitch was thrown clear behind Zobrist, someone who had been directly involved in the plays over the last couple days.

How many pitches do you see actually being thrown behind a hitter non-intentionally? I’d say you see one every 4-5 games, maybe? It could have been bad timing, but it’s not unreasonable to see some purpose behind that pitch. If the ump didn’t eject the pitcher, I think it’s likely that someone from the Sox would have been hit later on in the game in retaliation. I doubt the ump was the only one to read purpose in that pitch.

It was a quick hook, but a defensible one. I don’t think it plays in with some of the other actual atrocious umpiring calls this year.

6. NJgriffNC - May 31, 2012 at 2:39 PM

You know how they say different strokes for different folks? Well this guy is one of my favorite announcers in baseball and has been for years. I am not a Sox fan at all, but I love watching a Sox game on the package or on WGN because of this guy. I love the homer attitude. Screw being unbiased, he’s a White Sox announcer! He was a great ballplayer and, in my opinion, is a great announcer.

• purnellmeagrejr - May 31, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Hawk Harrrrelson a “great balllplayer???”. By the way, I’m not interested in going out with your “great looking sister.”

• NJgriffNC - Jun 1, 2012 at 2:24 PM

What about my sister??? And yeah he played in the major leagues and was an All-Star for a year, so great ballplayer. That is pretty unique for a play-by-play guy.

7. charlutes - May 31, 2012 at 2:45 PM

The White Sox have the worst announcers in pro sports. Its unwatchable. Sadly my Blue Jays also have terrible announcers. Buck especially has to go. The other day the Rangers scored 7 runs against the Jays in the first inning, both starters didn’t last through the fifth, and he spent all game talking about how starting pitching is the difference in the game. Often I wonder if he’s sober.

8. goawaydog - May 31, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Anyone remember the old Advil commercial that went like this: ” and for those really bad headaches … Take two”

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 31, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I also remember the part where they said “And if umpires piss you off, by all means, take 16.”

9. cur68 - May 31, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Someone get Hawk the turbo Torradol they give the players. Essentially Advil v The Headache = driving a Pinto on the Nürburgring; The Headache must have been Epic, given the size of his rant yesterday. Man needs AWD, a sequential manual gearbox, a couple 3 turbos, and sport suspension to cope with that sized Headache.

10. seattlej - May 31, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Aha!!! There’s the culprit… Obviously some trickster has switched Hawk’s Advil out with crazy pills!

“I feel like I’m taking crazy pills!”

11. contraryguy - May 31, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I’m no doctor but keeping up that consumption of ibuprofen sounds like a kidney problem waiting to happen.

• Utley's Hair - May 31, 2012 at 6:02 PM

He’s lucky he still has a stomach lining. That much Advil will give him ulcers quick.

12. steveohho - May 31, 2012 at 4:22 PM

This ain’t nothing. He needed a whole bucket of Vicodin just to get through Moneyball!

13. rooney24 - May 31, 2012 at 4:29 PM

If he truly had a headache that bad, and that many Advil weren’t doing anything, he should have been taking something else. When I get a migraine, no amount of ibuprofen by itself will do anything. But, if you take Excedrin migraine (or something with similar ingredients, since Excedrin is currently recalled), it helps greatly. And, if I get a tension headache, no amount of the migraine medicine helps, but a prescription muscle relaxer will do the trick in no time. Regular pain relievers are good for a lot of things, but aren’t the right medicine for certain headaches.

• Utley's Hair - May 31, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Clearly, he was in the right frame of mind to begin with, right?

14. bbil2012 - May 31, 2012 at 4:44 PM

This sort of Advil regimen could result in severe constipation.Which could lead to general irritability and then more ranting.Please Hawk, find another medication!

15. stairwayto7 - May 31, 2012 at 5:17 PM

He is a drug addict! Plus Hawk does NOT KNOW THE GAME! Purpose pitch and he deserved to get tossed!

16. mikeinthevine - May 31, 2012 at 5:48 PM

To say that Harrelson might be the biggest homer in all of broadcast sports would be an understatement. It is now confirmed that he is a five star nut case also.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5691)
  2. M. Kemp (3213)
  3. J. Kang (3051)
  4. C. McGehee (3031)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (3017)
  1. J. Upton (2951)