May 31, 2012, 5:11 PM EDT
Nick Markakis got a second opinion from a specialist after the initial X-rays on his injured wrist came back negative and the news isn’t good: Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that Markakis has been diagnosed with a broken hamate bone.
According to Kubatko he’s scheduled to undergo surgery tomorrow and the Orioles are confident he’ll play again this season, but Markakis is expected to miss at least 3-4 weeks.
Apparently the injury occurred nearly two weeks ago but Markakis, who’s been one of MLB’s most durable players throughout his career, was able to play through the discomfort until a swing Tuesday night completely broke the bone.
Markakis hit .256 with eight homers and a .786 OPS through 50 games, bouncing back from a career-worst 2011 season but still not equaling his 2006-2010 production. As part of a six-year, $66 million extension signed in January of 2009 he’s owed $12 million this season, $15 million in 2013, and $15 million in 2014, plus a $17.5 million option or $2 million buyout for 2015.
Nolan Reimold is also on the disabled list, leaving the Orioles very short on outfield options. Rule 5 pick Ryan Flaherty, veteran role player Endy Chavez, and rookie Xavier Avery will be in the mix for starts.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 24
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 16
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)