May 31, 2012, 5:11 PM EST
Nick Markakis got a second opinion from a specialist after the initial X-rays on his injured wrist came back negative and the news isn’t good: Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that Markakis has been diagnosed with a broken hamate bone.
According to Kubatko he’s scheduled to undergo surgery tomorrow and the Orioles are confident he’ll play again this season, but Markakis is expected to miss at least 3-4 weeks.
Apparently the injury occurred nearly two weeks ago but Markakis, who’s been one of MLB’s most durable players throughout his career, was able to play through the discomfort until a swing Tuesday night completely broke the bone.
Markakis hit .256 with eight homers and a .786 OPS through 50 games, bouncing back from a career-worst 2011 season but still not equaling his 2006-2010 production. As part of a six-year, $66 million extension signed in January of 2009 he’s owed $12 million this season, $15 million in 2013, and $15 million in 2014, plus a $17.5 million option or $2 million buyout for 2015.
Nolan Reimold is also on the disabled list, leaving the Orioles very short on outfield options. Rule 5 pick Ryan Flaherty, veteran role player Endy Chavez, and rookie Xavier Avery will be in the mix for starts.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 67
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)