May 31, 2012, 5:11 PM EST
Nick Markakis got a second opinion from a specialist after the initial X-rays on his injured wrist came back negative and the news isn’t good: Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that Markakis has been diagnosed with a broken hamate bone.
According to Kubatko he’s scheduled to undergo surgery tomorrow and the Orioles are confident he’ll play again this season, but Markakis is expected to miss at least 3-4 weeks.
Apparently the injury occurred nearly two weeks ago but Markakis, who’s been one of MLB’s most durable players throughout his career, was able to play through the discomfort until a swing Tuesday night completely broke the bone.
Markakis hit .256 with eight homers and a .786 OPS through 50 games, bouncing back from a career-worst 2011 season but still not equaling his 2006-2010 production. As part of a six-year, $66 million extension signed in January of 2009 he’s owed $12 million this season, $15 million in 2013, and $15 million in 2014, plus a $17.5 million option or $2 million buyout for 2015.
Nolan Reimold is also on the disabled list, leaving the Orioles very short on outfield options. Rule 5 pick Ryan Flaherty, veteran role player Endy Chavez, and rookie Xavier Avery will be in the mix for starts.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)