May 31, 2012, 5:11 PM EDT
Nick Markakis got a second opinion from a specialist after the initial X-rays on his injured wrist came back negative and the news isn’t good: Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that Markakis has been diagnosed with a broken hamate bone.
According to Kubatko he’s scheduled to undergo surgery tomorrow and the Orioles are confident he’ll play again this season, but Markakis is expected to miss at least 3-4 weeks.
Apparently the injury occurred nearly two weeks ago but Markakis, who’s been one of MLB’s most durable players throughout his career, was able to play through the discomfort until a swing Tuesday night completely broke the bone.
Markakis hit .256 with eight homers and a .786 OPS through 50 games, bouncing back from a career-worst 2011 season but still not equaling his 2006-2010 production. As part of a six-year, $66 million extension signed in January of 2009 he’s owed $12 million this season, $15 million in 2013, and $15 million in 2014, plus a $17.5 million option or $2 million buyout for 2015.
Nolan Reimold is also on the disabled list, leaving the Orioles very short on outfield options. Rule 5 pick Ryan Flaherty, veteran role player Endy Chavez, and rookie Xavier Avery will be in the mix for starts.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)