Oh, Henry! Nats reliever suffers a door injury

May 31, 2012, 12:30 PM EST

Washington Nationals v Pittsburgh Pirates Getty Images

This isn’t ironing a shirt while wearing it bad, but it is pretty random. Henry Rodriguez got an owie:

After the Nationals’ 5-3 loss to the Marlins on Wednesday, Manager Davey Johnson revealed Henry Rodriguez had slammed a bathroom door shut on his right index finger.

Rodriguez played catch wearing a protective rubber covering over his swollen finger, but he was unavailable to pitch Wednesday night. Johnson hopes Rodriguez will be able to pitch if needed Friday.

Question: how many of you use two hands to shut a bathroom door? How does this even happen?

1. darthicarus - May 31, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I’ve shut my finger in a door before (one-handed shutting in effect). Close it faster than expected and you get your finger stuck between the door & the jamb, obviously not using the handle to close just grab the door and push/pull.

“Rodriguez played catch wearing a protective rubber covering over his swollen finger,”

I’ve never put a condom on it afterwards though, that just seems weird & silly.

• bsbiz - May 31, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Not to mention throwing a lube ball is likely illegal.

2. Chris Fiorentino - May 31, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I have had my 4 year old slam the door shut on my finger before…but I don’t see how you can possibly slam the door shut on your own finger. I mean…when you slam the door shut, don’t you swing your arm back and slam it shut? Do you push it all the way shut when you slam it? I guess maybe he was slamming it shut with his left hand and he had his right hand in the door jamb? I guess I could see that happening.

3. heyblueyoustink - May 31, 2012 at 12:55 PM

It’s not like it’s gonna hurt his control.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 1, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Indeed, which brings us to this point: “Johnson hopes Rodriguez will be able to pitch if needed Friday.”
      Um, some of us are kinda hoping he’s able to pitch if needed in, oh, perhaps 2017 or so. See, he’s been just a wee bit inconsistent, though, to date, I don’t believe he’s seriously injured many spectators.

4. Old Gator - May 31, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Was that perchance the same door that hit the Gnats in the ass on their way out of Macondo last night?

5. heyblueyoustink - May 31, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Seriously though, no, never any finger damage in the bathroom. However, I have discovered there are far, far, *far* worse injuries to be suffered by a man in that setting.

6. redux23 - May 31, 2012 at 3:17 PM

once a closer, always a closer

7. jwbiii - May 31, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I slammed a door on my finger once. I was four years old. Hasn’t been an issue since.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5992)