May 31, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
Neftali Feliz is expected to miss the remainder of the first half with a sprained elbow, so whenever Roy Oswalt is ready to join the Rangers there will be an open spot in the rotation waiting for him.
As for what happens when Oswalt is starting every fifth day and Feliz is ready to return … the Rangers haven’t thought that far ahead, according to manager Ron Washington.
Washington told T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com that “right now I don’t think any of us knows what will happen” with Feliz and the Rangers have told him to focus on simply getting healthy before any decisions are made regarding his role.
If everyone in the revamped rotation stays healthy and effective Feliz could always shift back to the bullpen, presumably as a setup man considering how fantastic Joe Nathan has been as the closer. And if Oswalt’s back problems reoccur or another starter goes down Feliz can build back his arm strength while rehabbing and resume starting.
For his part Feliz reiterated yesterday that he still views himself as a starter, but added: “I’m not worried about it … I’m just focused on getting healthy.”
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)