May 31, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
Neftali Feliz is expected to miss the remainder of the first half with a sprained elbow, so whenever Roy Oswalt is ready to join the Rangers there will be an open spot in the rotation waiting for him.
As for what happens when Oswalt is starting every fifth day and Feliz is ready to return … the Rangers haven’t thought that far ahead, according to manager Ron Washington.
Washington told T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com that “right now I don’t think any of us knows what will happen” with Feliz and the Rangers have told him to focus on simply getting healthy before any decisions are made regarding his role.
If everyone in the revamped rotation stays healthy and effective Feliz could always shift back to the bullpen, presumably as a setup man considering how fantastic Joe Nathan has been as the closer. And if Oswalt’s back problems reoccur or another starter goes down Feliz can build back his arm strength while rehabbing and resume starting.
For his part Feliz reiterated yesterday that he still views himself as a starter, but added: “I’m not worried about it … I’m just focused on getting healthy.”
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 72
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (174)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (146)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)