May 31, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Neftali Feliz is expected to miss the remainder of the first half with a sprained elbow, so whenever Roy Oswalt is ready to join the Rangers there will be an open spot in the rotation waiting for him.
As for what happens when Oswalt is starting every fifth day and Feliz is ready to return … the Rangers haven’t thought that far ahead, according to manager Ron Washington.
Washington told T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com that “right now I don’t think any of us knows what will happen” with Feliz and the Rangers have told him to focus on simply getting healthy before any decisions are made regarding his role.
If everyone in the revamped rotation stays healthy and effective Feliz could always shift back to the bullpen, presumably as a setup man considering how fantastic Joe Nathan has been as the closer. And if Oswalt’s back problems reoccur or another starter goes down Feliz can build back his arm strength while rehabbing and resume starting.
For his part Feliz reiterated yesterday that he still views himself as a starter, but added: “I’m not worried about it … I’m just focused on getting healthy.”
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 42
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)