May 31, 2012, 4:31 PM EDT
Brian Banks was a football player. He may be again if things break just right. But there’s also a chance his athletic career ended before it could even begin because he spent several years in prison serving time on a rape charge he didn’t commit.
If the multiple invitations for tryouts with NFL teams he has received don’t pan out, however, he could have himself a job with the Arizona Diamondbacks:
Diamondbacks president and CEO Derrick Hall is willing to wait for Brian Banks. Hall, in fact, hopes he has to. He would prefer not to hire Banks just yet. That is for an NFL team to do. But if circumstances present themselves in the future, count the D-backs among those who would welcome him with open arms.
Banks, a former star high school football player with NFL potential, last week was exonerated after losing 10 years of his life for a crime he did not commit. Hall was so taken by Banks’ composure and professionalism during a television interview afterward that he obtained Banks’ email address and fired off a job offer. If the time comes, they’ll find a fit.
“I just thought, ‘This guy needs a fresh start,’” Hall said.
There’s no way to replace the ten years of his life that were taken from him, but it looks now at least that Banks will be able to land on his feet even if the NFL doesn’t work out for him.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 21
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 12
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 20
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)