May 31, 2012, 4:31 PM EDT
Brian Banks was a football player. He may be again if things break just right. But there’s also a chance his athletic career ended before it could even begin because he spent several years in prison serving time on a rape charge he didn’t commit.
If the multiple invitations for tryouts with NFL teams he has received don’t pan out, however, he could have himself a job with the Arizona Diamondbacks:
Diamondbacks president and CEO Derrick Hall is willing to wait for Brian Banks. Hall, in fact, hopes he has to. He would prefer not to hire Banks just yet. That is for an NFL team to do. But if circumstances present themselves in the future, count the D-backs among those who would welcome him with open arms.
Banks, a former star high school football player with NFL potential, last week was exonerated after losing 10 years of his life for a crime he did not commit. Hall was so taken by Banks’ composure and professionalism during a television interview afterward that he obtained Banks’ email address and fired off a job offer. If the time comes, they’ll find a fit.
“I just thought, ‘This guy needs a fresh start,’” Hall said.
There’s no way to replace the ten years of his life that were taken from him, but it looks now at least that Banks will be able to land on his feet even if the NFL doesn’t work out for him.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 15
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 43
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead