May 31, 2012, 8:48 PM EDT
Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported earlier this afternoon that the Cubs are open to moving everyone outside of right-hander Jeff Samardzija. Yes, even 22-year-old shortstop Starlin Castro. Naturally there’s been quite a bit of conversation about the report, irrational and otherwise, but Cubs president Theo Epstein went out of his way to address the situation tonight.
According to Doug Padilla and Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago, Epstein confirmed that the Cubs are not considering moving Castro.
“Starlin Castro is the type of player we’re looking to build around,” Epstein said Thursday. “There has been no trade consideration with him, whatsoever.”
Padilla and Levine also go back to a quote from earlier in the week where Epstein said that he doesn’t believe in any player being “untouchable,” but that there are certain core pieces that you “would have to be completely blown away” to move. If that doesn’t describe Castro, I’m not sure what does.
And so, while it’s fun to make up dream trade scenarios, it’s much more likely that Castro is part of the next winning team in Chicago than suiting up for another team later this summer.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)