May 31, 2012, 8:48 PM EDT
Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported earlier this afternoon that the Cubs are open to moving everyone outside of right-hander Jeff Samardzija. Yes, even 22-year-old shortstop Starlin Castro. Naturally there’s been quite a bit of conversation about the report, irrational and otherwise, but Cubs president Theo Epstein went out of his way to address the situation tonight.
According to Doug Padilla and Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago, Epstein confirmed that the Cubs are not considering moving Castro.
“Starlin Castro is the type of player we’re looking to build around,” Epstein said Thursday. “There has been no trade consideration with him, whatsoever.”
Padilla and Levine also go back to a quote from earlier in the week where Epstein said that he doesn’t believe in any player being “untouchable,” but that there are certain core pieces that you “would have to be completely blown away” to move. If that doesn’t describe Castro, I’m not sure what does.
And so, while it’s fun to make up dream trade scenarios, it’s much more likely that Castro is part of the next winning team in Chicago than suiting up for another team later this summer.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)