May 31, 2012, 6:10 PM EDT
The Rockies, currently 11 1/2 games back of the Dodgers in the NL West, will have to go it without their All-Star shortstop for the next couple of weeks, as Troy Tulowitzki was placed on the DL Thursday due to a strained left groin.
Tulo had just been warming up at the plate, hitting four homers during a current nine-game hitting streak. His OPS had jumped from .741 to .846 during the span. He’d had also cut way back on the errors after a stunning early season binge.
With Tulowitzki out, the Rockies are expected to shift Marco Scutaro over to shortstop, putting Chris Nelson, who is coming off the DL after missing time with an inflamed wrist, and D.J. LeMahieu at second base. It doesn’t sound like the Rockies have any intention of putting Eric Young Jr. back there. Young spent most of his minor league career at second, but he’s been used exclusively in the outfield this season.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 8
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 38
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires