Your complete 2012 throwback uniform guide

May 31, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT

St. Louis Cardinals v Houston Astros Getty Images

Over at UniWatch, Paul Lukas runs down all of the throwback uniform days from all of the teams this season. And I have to agree that it has been a stellar year for that.

And a note: tomorrow the Astros are going with the old rainbow nightmare uniforms.  Don’t let anyone you know get too excited, though. While they were interesting and on some level fun, they were never really good and, no, we should not want them back as full-time uniforms by any stretch of the imagination. It’s all nostalgia, man.

For my money, it’s shooting star uniforms or GTFO. They’re Altuves better than the next best option.

1. schlom - May 31, 2012 at 1:41 PM

“Altuves” better than the next option? Does that mean they are just slightly better than the rainbows?

• Ryan - May 31, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Just the newest unit of measurement, at least for the Astros. Way better than miles!

2. rollinghighwayblues - May 31, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I’d love to see the Astros go back to the navy and orange featured in the .45s and shooting stars uniforms. The much wore out brick red is getting horrendous.

I’m also a fan a fan of the Angels 70′s look of navy and red, I feel like that would be a sharp everyday scheme with some tweaking to the lowercased “a” on the uniform itself and the cumberbun-Sansa belt hybrid.

But what in the hell do I know about what’s fashionable?

3. El Bravo - May 31, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Uni Watch needs to embed images on the page…not make me click every damn link to see them. Lame.

4. DJ MC - May 31, 2012 at 2:10 PM

As long as they go to the star-H on the hat, they can wear neon green and fuchsia jerseys. One of my all-time favorite logos.

5. blantoncollier - May 31, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Give me Boog Powell in those fire engine red Cleveland Indians unis of the 70s anyday!.(NOT)…

• natstowngreg - May 31, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Back then, some writer called Boog the world’s biggest Bloody Mary.

6. gloccamorra - May 31, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Teams need to reconsider some of those older designs for permanent use, just to get away from the sameness of today’s unis. I watched a Nationals series in DC, and in one game, the Nats were wearing white and the visiting team had blue jerseys. The next day, the Nats were wearing the blue jerseys and the visiting team had road grays. How many teams have blue road/home jerseys, and how are we expected to tell them apart when they switch from game to game?

• cervellirules - May 31, 2012 at 4:22 PM

You could always take cues from your environment. Or depending on which half of the inning you’re in, that might be a hint as to which team is at bat.

• natstowngreg - May 31, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Also, the Nats’ red home jerseys, usually (but not always) worn on Sundays.

MLB doesn’t care if we can tell the teams apart. It’s all about selling the merchandise.

• catcher50 - Jun 1, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Nats home jersey is white. Alt. #1 is red, usually worn on a weekend game. Alt #2 is dark blue (imo, the best looking of the three), originally reserved for holidays Mem Day, Jul 4, Labor Day.

Traditionally, White was home, Grey was visitor. Period, End of options. Fine by me.

7. catcher50 - Jun 1, 2012 at 10:39 AM

By the way, I think that any throwback unis, from before about the mid ’60s, should be required to be flannel.

I can just imagine some of these guys in flannel in mid-July in DC, Baltimore, or Atlanta. Keep an ambulance handy.

Them were REAL men, back then. Of course, we were advised to take salt tablets, so we wouldn’t get heat stroke, but….

• gloccamorra - Jun 1, 2012 at 1:22 PM

If you require original fabric like flannel for mid-’60s and older, you’ll have to make ‘em play in those tight stretch knits from the ’70s-’80s. Do you really want to see Adam Dunn and Prince Fielder in stretch knits?

8. raindog - Jun 1, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Craig, you’re crazy. The Astro’s rainbow uniforms are awesome, and I’m not even old enough to remember when they wore them full time.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5053)