And That Happened: Thursday’s Scores and Highlights

Jun 1, 2012, 5:45 AM EST

Dylan

There were only three freakin’ games last night. Three!  How is this fair? Bah! Bah, I say.  So, to make up for the lack of games to talk about, I go into some random Bob Dylan stuff below the scores. My feature. Do what I wanna do.

Tigers 7, Red Sox 3: Max Scherzer continues to be non-disastrous, which is what the Tigers really need from him. Delmon Young and Quintin Berry each had three hits for Detroit. Alex Avila had one hit in the box score and one hit to the face while catching — foul ball — which left him bloody and forced him out of the game.

Rockies 11, Astros 5: Carlos Gonzalez‘ reign of terror continues (3 for 4, HR, 2B, 3 RBI). Michael Cuddyer drove in three as well.  Astros starter Bud Norris probably needs a hug. He gave up nine runs on seven hits in less than two innings. It’s OK, Bud. The bad men in the white pinstriped jerseys aren’t there to hurt you anymore.

Brewers 6, Dodgers 2:  Milwaukee sweeps the Dodgers in the four game series. Zack Greinke allowed one run over six.  The Matt Kempless-era, Part II, of the 2012 Dodgers has not gotten off to a rousing start. Gloom and doom is afoot, people. Gloom and doom.

OK, now — because there is no more baseball to talk about from last night — a giant digression …

I’ve probably made about a thousand Bob Dylan references on this blog over the years, so it’s probably no secret that I’m a big Dylan fan. Probably bigger than you think, though. I don’t talk about it THAT much but I’m fairly obsessive. I got almost all of it, even the crazy evangelical Christian albums he put out in the late 70s and early 80s. Even awful stuff like “Empire Burlesque” and “Self Portrait.”  All of the “official” bootlegs and a fairly decent number of unofficial ones. If Dylan has done it, I have it. Or at least have heard it.

There was a time when I’d corner you and act all jerky if you said you didn’t like Dylan. I’m way more mature about such things these days, realizing that the bulk of Bob Dylan is not for everyone and even the essential stuff can be an acquired taste. Yes, I think you’re missing the entire point if you say his voice is hard to listen to, but I’m past the point in my life where I’ll argue with you about it. I probably don’t like stuff you like and think is important and that’s OK.

But I can’t help myself here but to recommend The Onion A.V. Club’s Dylan primer that went up yesterday.  It’s shorter than extended overviews elsewhere but also detailed enough to let you know what it is you’re missing if you care. And it’s not overly fanboyish. It tells you what’s good and what sucks, which is the only way to be honest about the famously uneven Mr. Zimmerman. And it’s the most I can muster as far as Dylan proselytizing goes.

Anyway, since there are only three games to talk about, I figure I’d give you my personal Dylan top Albums list and maybe kick off some Dylan talk today. This is in no particular order — which of these is my favorites changes depending on my mood — but these five usually cycle through the top five:

The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan: The one that introduced me to Bob when I was a kid, because my dad owned it. Of course my dad was also one of those guys who turned his back on Dylan when he went electric, so it’s not like my dad was cool or anything. When I swiped this from him sometime in the 80s he was all “Oh, yeah. You can have it.” “Girl From the North Country” may be the most beautiful song in his catalog and it makes me misty sometimes. It’s hard to believe that something so personal and affecting sounding can result from the same ancient folk song that served as the basis for something as sterile as Simon and Garfunkel’s “Scarborough Fair.” Really kids, it’s the same song. Listen to them if you don’t believe me.

Highway 61 Revisted: I could easily put “Bringing it All Back Home” here. Or “Blonde on Blonde.” With a nod to the Rubber Soul/Revolver/Sgt. Peppers Beatles and the Let it Bleed/Sticky Fingers/Exile Stones, they constitute what is perhaps the greatest three-album stretch of anyone ever. I tend to favor Highway 61, however, because I heard it first — on cassette! — when all I had known of Dylan before that was his early folk output. It hit me like a lightning bolt. I think it hits everyone like a lightning bolt. With “Desolation Row” serving like some post-storm rolling thunder after the worst of the storm is over.

Blood on the Tracks: Some call it “the Divorce Album.” It may be that. I certainly got reacquainted with it in major fashion when my marriage was disintegrating last year, because boy howdy does it resonate. But the fact is that it is much more than that. Just a beautiful song cycle that, for the first time, really sounded like it came from a truly mature Bob Dylan as opposed to a young man trying so hard to sound worldly.

Good as I Been to You: This doesn’t make many top Dylan lists. Don’t care. Wore it out when I got it in late 1992. Dylan was at something of a critical nadir when it came out but to me it sounded like a logical continuation or an echo or something of “Freewheelin,” which was still relatively new to me then. And it had the added bonus of refueling Dylan’s creative juices, even if he didn’t write a single song on the disc. Bonus: I defy anyone to show me a 60s-era classic rocker who does a better sea shanty than Dylan.

Time Out of Mind: After one more non-originals record in “World Gone Wrong,” Dylan unleashed this bad boy. If “Blood on the Tracks” represented a new maturity in Dylan, this one represented yet another, higher plateau in that regard. While Dylan in the 80s sounded like a man out of time — really, apart from “Brownsville Girl,” most of the “Oh Mercy” album and stuff that showed up on bootlegs later it was a wasted decade — here Dylan sounded like a man who knew he was entering his twilight years and decided that he could wear that very well (and as his next three albums showed, he is wearing it extremely well). Most of the album consists of Dylan staring death in the face and … being just fine with it. Indeed, since 1997 it’s been like Dylan and Death meet twice a week to sip whiskey and shoot the breeze.

Anyway. Thanks for indulging me. When there aren’t any ballgames sometimes my gravity fails and I need something besides negativity to pull me through. More often than not, Dylan has served that purpose in my life, so I can be forgiven for all of this blather, I hope.

1. kiwicricket - Jun 1, 2012 at 6:13 AM

Beatles were better, Stones were cooler.
    Last year I drove 5200km across Australia, listening to nothing but Let it Bleed/Sticky/Exile. Best month of my life.
    (I found ‘New Jersey’ by Bon Jovi under the seat of the second-hand car I bought for the trip, but I like to pretend it didn’t happen)

ATH Gold, Mr C.

• danandcasey - Jun 1, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Of course, today marks the 45th anniversary of a rock milestone – the release of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. McCartney played the album for Dylan a couple months before its release. Dylan’s comment – “Oh, I get it, you don’t want to be cute anymore.”

• aceshigh11 - Jun 1, 2012 at 9:16 AM

The Beatles have obviously always been superior songwriters and musicians, but I’m a much bigger Stones fan.

I’ve just always been drawn to their filthy blues sound, as opposed to the Beatles’ sublime, pristine musicality.

2. Old Gator - Jun 1, 2012 at 6:27 AM

Since there was no Feesh game, I’m going to play devil’s advocate this morning and bellyache about all this non-baseball content here on Circling the Bases. I don’t know about the rest of you – my surveillance equipment got fried by a power surge – but I don’t come on here to read about Bob Dylan, old movies, politics, lycopene, Santeria, Canadian cuisine, weird comedy albums, economics, the Democratic organi…organ…organiza…Party, Australian back roads with giant lobster statues in the parking lots of petrol stations, Hemingway hounds, strange women tied up in hotel rooms, failed video game companies, politics, health food recipes, apocryphal board games, corrupt municipalities, panda smuggling, cannibal zombies, politics, Mitt Romney’s hidden wives, gay divorce, tyrannosaur skeleton auctions which are really Tarbosaurus skeleton auctions, Mongolian lawsuits, pet rattlesnakes or the various advantages and disadvantages of pies versus cakes when everyone discriminates against croissants. I come on here to talk about baseball, even in the orfseason. I would appreciate it, Mr. left-wing Osma-loving Calcaterrorist, if you would stick to the subject.

And by the way, where the hell were you born – East Prussia, like that German tank driver Wolf Blitzer?

• kiwicricket - Jun 1, 2012 at 6:36 AM

Came for the baseball, stayed for the strange women tied up in hotel rooms.

• 4d3fect - Jun 1, 2012 at 7:41 AM

They’re in everybody’s eggs.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 1, 2012 at 8:14 AM

1) It is time to read about the baseball references in the songs of Meatloaf.
      2) Wolf Blitzer is from Buffalo. Buffalo only has a Triple A team.
      3) I want to hear more about Romney’s hidden wives. Are they hardball fans?

• Old Gator - Jun 1, 2012 at 10:35 AM

At a press conference last year, Romney was asked about gay marriage. He replied, “I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman. And a woman. And a woman. And a woman.” Really. If the voters find out old plastic hair has a sense of humor, Obama is in deep shit.

• sportsdrenched.com - Jun 1, 2012 at 10:06 AM

See, I’m good with all of that. However, the mintues someone mentions a Zombie Appocolypse or something, I’m out. I’m unfollowing on twitter, I’m unfreinding on FB, and not reading said blog again. I have this unrational hatred of Zombie discussions. Not Zombies themselves, just the discussion of them.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Forget it Jake………Rosebud

3. kiwicricket - Jun 1, 2012 at 6:31 AM

Watching Josh Beckett leak runs and not strike anyone out for nearly 3hrs, barely constitutes entertainment for me anymore.

• Old Gator - Jun 1, 2012 at 6:50 AM

Would you rather watch Viv Richards pitch sneakers on BBC America?

• kiwicricket - Jun 1, 2012 at 7:09 AM

You ARE joking right?
        Only if he tells me they are ‘cooool maan’

• 4d3fect - Jun 1, 2012 at 8:07 AM

“Leaks” “runs” –ick.

4. El Bravo - Jun 1, 2012 at 6:49 AM

What gator said

5. brian1413 - Jun 1, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Dylan is the greatest I also am obsessed. Top five for me Another Side of Bob Dylan, Bringing it all back home, blood on the tracks, Nashville Skyline and then a tie between Blondel on Blonde and modern times.

6. brian1413 - Jun 1, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Also Gator you suck.

• Old Gator - Jun 1, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Dylan sucks. He isn’t even in the same league with Barry Manilow, and I’ll stand on his coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 1, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Gator is Blowing in the Wind. Zimmerman had a weak voice and an uneven output. I liked some of his music, however, much of it was weak.

• Old Gator - Jun 1, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Weak???? There are giant toads in my pond during mating season who can croak on key, which is more than I can say for Dylan…except, maybe, on Nashville Skyline where he found himself an octave that he promptly wasted on a bunch of kitschy country-western lyrics that wouldn’t have made the sound track of O Brother Where Art Thou, much less Country Strong, which was what would have happened if Ed Wood Jr. were from Arkansas and wrote musicals.

Hey toad! No, not you, the big one in amplexus over there – yes, you, swallowing the dragon fly! Do you know the lyrics to “Lay Lady Lay”?

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 1, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I have to agree with Gator. I can’t believe the President is actually awarding Medals of Freedom to crappy folk musicians now. And it probably only cost the tax payers about 1.3 mil to do so! What a country!

• The Rabbit - Jun 1, 2012 at 3:05 PM

@Death Monkey
        There’s plenty of precedence for this in the entertainment category and as they say “you can look it up.” I was never quite sure how they qualified either.
        Ronald Reagan gave the Medal of Freedom to “Tennessee” Ernie Ford who as far as I can tell is the only recipient from that category of music.
        While I’m not a fan of that genre, I suspect those that are could make great arguments as to why others would be much more worthy.

7. Liam - Jun 1, 2012 at 7:04 AM

I base all of my political opinions on what I think Mr. Zimmerman would believe and do not plan on changing that ever.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jun 1, 2012 at 7:13 AM

Boy, that sounds like a pretty bad idea, no matter how much you love the guy. How do you know he’s not pro-nuking the whales for Jesus or something?

• Old Gator - Jun 1, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Hey Liam! Let’s clean our Berettas and go out hunting darkies tonight! I’ll bring the marshmallows!

• proudlycanadian - Jun 1, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Joan Baez was frustrated with her ex boyfriend, because he was not into political causes.

• Old Gator - Jun 1, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Oh, okay….for a minute there, I thought he was talking about George Zimmerman…..

• Liam - Jun 1, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Gotta nuke something, Craig.

8. ugglasforearms - Jun 1, 2012 at 7:15 AM

“It hit me like a lightning bolt. I think it hits everyone like a lightning bolt. With “Desolation Row” serving like some post-storm rolling thunder after the worst of the storm is over.”
    Very nice Mr. C.

• Old Gator - Jun 1, 2012 at 7:26 AM

The Grateful Dead’s version of “Desolation Row” is so much better than Dylan’s that Dylan shouldn’t have even bothered to record it. In fact, I’m not even sure he wrote it. I have evidence that the real author was Christopher Marlowe, and if not Marlowe, then Robert Hunter, who seems to be writing most of Dylan’s songs these days anyway.

• nukeladouche - Jun 1, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Many, many bands or artists have done Dylan tunes as well or better than he did them. I used to knock him for that, mainly (like everyone else), criticizing his voice and singing style. (Heck, even my 5 year old kid just yesterday (while wearing a The Times They Are A-Changing t-shirt) said, “Bob Dylan isn’t much of a singer – but he’s a great songwriter.”) Anyhow. . . I’ve come to the conclusion that a truly great song is one that can be performed in a variety of ways, by a variety of artists. . . . . Hendrix’ version of “Watchtower” is the quintessential example of this with Dylan (Bob allegedly said upon hearing Jimi’s version something like “it’s his song now”), but a LOT of his songs have been covered many times over by great artists (the GD covered a lot of his tunes, and JGB does a wonderful version of “Simple Twist of Fate,” with soaring and searing guitar licks from Jerry throughout that alters the entier feel of the song). . . . And many of those versions, frankly, are (IMO), better than Dylan’s original version. But that takes away nothing from Dylan the songwriter and, I would argue, in fact is evidence of how truly great a songwriter he is.

FWIW, I like the standards from Dylan: Highway 61, Blood on the Tracks, Blonde on Blonde, and for a live album, the Rolling Thunder Revue release (I forget which Bootleg Series # that is). But he’s got a broad catalog and even some of his worst albums still contain a hidden gem or two. . . .

9. burgundyandgold - Jun 1, 2012 at 7:28 AM

1. Time Out of Mind
    2. Blood on the Tracks
    3. Desire – depending on my mood I could flip this with #2.
    4. The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan
    5. Highway 61 Revisted
    Honorable Mention:
    – Nashville Skyline with Cash
    – Good As I Been To You – I wore that out as well – love House Carpenter and Arthur McBride
    – Love and Theft
    – The Billy the Kid Soundtrack

Dylan’s music changes to me as I get older. Songs that meant something to me when I was 18 mean something totally different to me now. True artist.

• Old Gator - Jun 1, 2012 at 7:30 AM

It changes for me too. The layers of lichen that have been growing on it since it became ideologically obsolete have turned a darker green as the algae overtake the fungi.

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 1, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Dylan’s songs pretty much mean to me what Milli Vanilli’s songs mean to me.

10. Chris Fiorentino - Jun 1, 2012 at 7:37 AM

I have probably heard the least # of Bob Dylan songs of anybody on this board(1 – All along the Watchtower). And the only reason is that IMHO it was sung far better twice(Jimi Hendrix & Dave Matthews Band) After hearing it at my first DMB concert, I listened to the Dylan version and thought “This guy sucks” and didn’t bother with anything else from him.

A question for the Dylan fans…if I were going to grab something from Dylan to listen to, what album should I get?

• Old Gator - Jun 1, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Nashville Skyline. The songs are tripe – he was apparently attempting to get in touch with his inner cracker when he wrote them – but he apparently hired a voice coach for it, and you won’t wish you were trapped in an elevator over Christmas with Bing Crosby on a loop after five minutes of his singing on that one.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 1, 2012 at 7:49 AM

“in touch with his inner cracker”

LOL

• kiwicricket - Jun 1, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Highway 61 Revisited. Drink 1/2 a bottle of good Cabernet, press play.
      (Or ask El Bravo to hook you up with something. Depends on your preference)

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 1, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Listening to this album…OK I was wrong…I have also heard “Like a Rolling Stone” before. I actually always liked that song. Never knew it was Bob Dylan…LOL. My music knowledge pre-Nirvana isn’t all that great ;)

• paperlions - Jun 1, 2012 at 9:06 AM

I agree with Fiorentino on this one (though I have heard many dozens more Dylan songs than he has). Dylan was a fantastic song writer, horrible singer. I would rather someone with vocal talent and better arrangement perform his songs….they were better that way…has anyone ever covered a Dylan tune and not done a better job?

• frankvzappa - Jun 1, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Dylan is actually a pretty good singer, just with an unusual vocal styling that takes some getting used to. In fact, Dylan set out to be a singer before he even started writing songs. The whole “Dylan is a bad singer” line is just an old mom’s tale.

• paperlions - Jun 1, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Nope, that is personal experience. If he can sing, they he should have….his efforts are generally painful to listen to…..it is like saying Carl Lewis is a good singer, he just has an unusual vocal styling….singing off key through your nose is not an “unusual vocal styling”…almost anyone can do that…nothing unusual about it….it is one of the common things that people that can’t sing do.

• Old Gator - Jun 1, 2012 at 10:12 AM

That’s assuming your old mom is tasteful and cultivated. And by that I don’t mean that she was classically trained in duschlieder.

• frankvzappa - Jun 1, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Chris, it appears you are more of a rock-oriented individual, so I would suggest the oft-neglected double-live album “At Budokan”……mid 70s, full rock band, different arrangements of songs that really bring them to life for the rock fan. “Is Your Love In Vain” off that album is one my favorite all-time recordings my Bob. If you can’t get into the Love Minus Zero/No Limit off that album, then forget it because it just wasn’t meant to be.

• Old Gator - Jun 1, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Kinda like Ron Paul’s presidential candidacy.

• frankvzappa - Jun 1, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Keep worshiping the ones bending you over. Hating the people who are trying to save America only makes you look like a terrorist, Old Boy. But I understand. You can’t get over something that happened hundreds of years ago so now you advocate the fall of America. Makes sense. Go cry about the native america genocide where somebody gives a shit and push your Stalinist agenda somewhere else.

• Old Gator - Jun 1, 2012 at 10:55 AM

“Go cry about the native america genocide where somebody gives a shit” pretty much sums up why messianically deluded bigots like you haven’t got a prayer of “saving America,” and why any efforts I might feel like wasting in “constructing” you as a racist pale by comparison with the effortlessness with which you construct yourself as one. If America is going to be saved, it’ll be from paranoids and cranks like you and that idiot Paul – whose repeated feints at publicity haven’t exactly earned him much traction except among gibbering, name-calling nitwits like yourself. Of course, that’s assuming you know how to read poll numbers. I have to admit, though, that when I read that you were out to “save America” I got the biggest laugh I’m likely to get all day – second only to how quickly I went from being a “fascist apologist” to a “Stalinist,” at any rate.

But why be so unpleasant? Wouldn’t you rather hear some heartwarming stories about me and my odd Hemingway hound, Fido?

• frankvzappa - Jun 1, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Listening to people like you bad mouth Ron Paul is hilarious to me, considering he gets more donations from military members than ALL OTHER CANDIDATES COMBINED. So if you don’t support Ron Paul, you don’t support the troops and that means you are a traitor. Pretty simple really.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 1, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Careful, Gator, or you’ll be labeled a fascist apologist. I chalk it up to a reaction of tinfoil hats and dental fillings.

• Old Gator - Jun 1, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Ut: not a big deal. I went from “fascist” to “Stalinist” in one week. Next week, I’ll probably be an irridentist, or a fourierist, or maybe even an entomologist. It’s hard to anticipate what’s going to come out of that boiling fudgepot of a head of his. Well, at least I’m stabilized as a traitor in that paranoid American dystopia he inhabits.

Yes, it’s true, Zap – it is a simple world indeed, you are indeed a rank simpleton.

11. Ari Collins - Jun 1, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Maybe a bit boring, but:

1. Bringing It All Back Home
    2. Highway 61 Revisited
    3. Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan
    4. Another Side of Bob Dylan
    5. Blood on the Tracks

Those are all Classic Albums(tm), but they’re classic for a reason.

Time Out of Mind, Blonde on Blonde, Desire, and John Wesley Harding are really really good, but just short of the greatness of those 5, even if the devil’s advocate in me wants to argue for them.

12. Glenn - Jun 1, 2012 at 8:00 AM

The 80’s were lost years for Dylan. Remember the drunken performances? He could barely stand for one of the Letterman anniversary shows. Luckily they taped two performances and he was passable in the first show. A friend was at the second taping and said it was truly sad to see. He played in my hometown at around that time and stayed at a local hotel. My future wife was working there at the time. He never left his room except for the performance. Nothing went up to the room except whiskey and cigarettes and he registered under the pseudonym “Mickey Hatch”.

13. brycebstone - Jun 1, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Dylan, really? Try listening to some real music like 98 Degrees. Now there’s a band that really impacted the music scene.

14. digitaldonnie - Jun 1, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Everybody must get stoned. Enough said

• Old Gator - Jun 1, 2012 at 8:26 AM

“woke up this morn stoned
      just like bein’ born stoned
      around your neck a millstoned
      hurt destroy kill stoned
      …everything is now stoned
      macro-cosmic ever-flowing love-lite
      wow stoned”

R. Crumb

15. mattintoledo - Jun 1, 2012 at 8:24 AM

I can’t believe how nobody is talking about how Carlos Gonzalez was just a triple short of the cycle!

Also, I’ve been somewhere besides in front of my TV for the Tigers’ last four wins. Over the weekend, it was a “break”. Yesterday, it was just life. Anyway, if I were paranoid I’d think they didn’t want me watching. Of course, with as bad as they’ve looked when I HAVE been watching, I’m not sure I should complain if there were such an arrangement.

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 1, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Or how Prince Fielder had a stand up triple.

16. lazlosother - Jun 1, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Freewheelin Bob Dylan
    The Times They are A-Changin
    The Basement Tapes (just because)
    Blood on the Tracks
    time Out of Mind

In no particular order, heavily mood-dependent.

17. sjhaack - Jun 1, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Lyrics in songs have never been as important to me as the melodies, harmonies, and structures. So if the words are basically the whole song, and then they’re not delivered well, that’s anathema to my whole music experience. I also haven’t heard the full spectrum of Bob Dylan, so I feel somewhat uninformed, but it’s also a strange circumstance where he’s the third or fourth most popular version of his own song.

I don’t particularly LIKE Bob Dylan’s music, but I certainly appreciate it. It’s important more than it’s “good”, even when it’s great. The impact he’s had on popular music going forward from his first album is too big to ignore.

18. quonce - Jun 1, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Unofficial Bootlegs – (must have)
    1. The Basement Reels (11 disc everything from Big Pink) ’67
    2. Electric Gashcat ’65-66
    3. Yesterday – George Harrison session ’70
    4. Dylan and Cash Sessions ’69
    5. The Complete Supper Club (these shows inspired MTV Unplugged Series) ’93
    6. 1965 Revisited (10+ disc ’65)
    7. Thin Wild Mercury (’65-66)
    8. Toads Place 1990 (played into the morning hours)

I could go on forever, but start with those.

19. randygnyc - Jun 1, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Someday Craig, maybe well have a chance to compare Dylan notes. My wife’s family is very close to Bob. In fact, the portrait on the back of Infidels is Bob kissing my mother in law. I’ve travelled coast to coast, many times, seeing bob close to 200 times, often as a guest of his. Anyone who has been to a decent amount of Bob concerts knows myself, my wife and her family.

Caribbean Wind- best song EVER!!!

• aceshigh11 - Jun 1, 2012 at 10:55 AM

“Anyone who has been to a decent amount of Bob concerts knows myself…”

This just in: I will no longer be attending Bob Dylan concerts.

20. nolanwiffle - Jun 1, 2012 at 8:58 AM

If Dylan was revered by Robbie, Rick, Richard, Garth, and Levon…… then he’s got something going on.

“Play fucking loud!”

21. mplsjoe - Jun 1, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Best ATH ever.

22. bluesoxbaseball - Jun 1, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Slow Train Coming is my favorite Dylan album. I’m no fan of Christian music, but when Dylan decided to do a Christian album, he made the best one ever.

• Old Gator - Jun 1, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Which says something trenchant about how awful the rest of it is.

23. Tim OShenko - Jun 1, 2012 at 9:44 AM

One of my favourite Dylan albums – one you’ll rarely hear mentioned – is “New Morning.” No political manifestos, no messy breakups, no religious diatribes (though there are Three Angels). Just a bunch of songs about graduations, cabins in Utah, and the passing of time.

Not exactly Epic, as the kids would say. But the lyrics are so impressionistic that even these tales of domestic life take on a mysterious quality.

Aside from that oddity, the others in my top five would include, in no particular order:
    -Blood on the Tracks
    -Time Out of Mind
    -Bootleg Vol. 4 (Live in 1966)
    -Freewheelin’

Honourable mention: Oh Mercy

24. hushbrother - Jun 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures/Signals, dude.

• sportsdrenched.com - Jun 1, 2012 at 10:09 AM

You throw 2112 & Hemispheres in there and I’m right there.

Although my favorite Rush ablums are the live albums. A Show of Hands/Exit Stage Left/Different Stages/Live in Rio

I know those are all compilations from other albums. But my MP3 player only has Rush songs from live albums.

• aceshigh11 - Jun 1, 2012 at 10:59 AM

RUSH in Rio.

Rush in Rio, R30, Snakes and Arrows Live and Time Machine 2011 are all great live albums, and those are just from the last 10 years.

It’s not like I need 5 different versions of Tom Sawyer or Limelight, especially since Rush never improvise, but their setlists still vary enough from tour to tour that each live show contains some real gems that oftentimes end up outclassing the album version.

• sportsdrenched.com - Jun 1, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Rush is my favorite band, I hate Tom Sawyer. If I’m listening to the radio and I hear it, I change the station.

I can’t tell if I don’t like it on musical merits, or it’s like Pink Floyds ABIW Part 2: It’s the only song popular radio plays from those bands.

I know with the advent of the internet and digital music being exposed to different music is much easier than it used to be. When I was growing up the only way I heard different music was via the radio/MTV.

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 1, 2012 at 11:12 AM

One of the most incredibly talented and mind-numbingly boring bands of all time.

25. ugglasforearms - Jun 1, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Lots of comments here about what a bad singer Dylan is. I always thought the whole point of listening to Bob Dylan was for the lyrics. He wrote some great songs. I don’t remember anyone saying “Hey, you gotta here this guy sing… he’s so good.”

• ugglasforearms - Jun 1, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Of course I meant “hear” in that last sentence.

• Old Gator - Jun 1, 2012 at 10:10 AM

You can read the lyrics, or you can listen to someone who can actually sing covering them, without subjecting yourself to his scraping and croaking.

• nolanwiffle - Jun 1, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Agreed. His songs aren’t usually about pretty people and happy times. The voice suits the brilliant words.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5434)