Jun 1, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
Susan Slusser has a column up about Bartolo Colon. About what makes him tick, how he’s still going despite seemingly being done a couple of years ago and … about his personality quirks. Was NOT expecting this one:
He can be so surprising, in fact, that teammate Brandon McCarthy is keeping a book of unexpected Bartolo Colon facts. McCarthy was loath to share any of his tidbits – he said he wants to publish it himself, maybe turn it into a blog – but he finally cracked and revealed one of his favorites.
“Bartolo loves Adele,” McCarthy said. “He listens to ‘Set Fire to the Rain’ before every start.
That’s gotta be right up there with “We Will Rock You” as far as athletic pump-you-up music, right? I picture him sitting in front of his locker, headphones on, singing along to it, knowing people can hear him, but not really caring.
Not gonna lie: I’m loving Bartolo much more today than I did yesterday. Something about a guy who does not give a crap about anything that you just have to like.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 25
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 22
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 39
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)