Jun 1, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
Susan Slusser has a column up about Bartolo Colon. About what makes him tick, how he’s still going despite seemingly being done a couple of years ago and … about his personality quirks. Was NOT expecting this one:
He can be so surprising, in fact, that teammate Brandon McCarthy is keeping a book of unexpected Bartolo Colon facts. McCarthy was loath to share any of his tidbits – he said he wants to publish it himself, maybe turn it into a blog – but he finally cracked and revealed one of his favorites.
“Bartolo loves Adele,” McCarthy said. “He listens to ‘Set Fire to the Rain’ before every start.
That’s gotta be right up there with “We Will Rock You” as far as athletic pump-you-up music, right? I picture him sitting in front of his locker, headphones on, singing along to it, knowing people can hear him, but not really caring.
Not gonna lie: I’m loving Bartolo much more today than I did yesterday. Something about a guy who does not give a crap about anything that you just have to like.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)