Jun 1, 2012, 2:02 PM EDT
General manager Ben Cherington denied a report that the Red Sox were telling teams they “definitely intend to trade” Kevin Youkilis.
“That’s inaccurate,” Cherington e-mailed WEEI.com Friday afternoon. “Some teams have checked in on him. We haven’t told any teams we plan to trade him. It’s our job to listen if teams have interest. He’s swinging the bat well since coming off the DL and [is] a big part of our team and lineup.”
OK, well, if I was running a team and I had a guy I wanted to trade I’d act like I didn’t want to trade him either. And it’s worth noting that, among the guys in the rumors game, Knobler doesn’t whiff all that often.
My guess is that someone on the team is giving him the straight dope and Cherington is making sure to (a) be diplomatic in the interests of not making Youkilis feel unwanted; and (b) is trying to make the team sound less interested in moving Youk for purposes of leverage preservation.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 7
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 92
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (92)