Jun 1, 2012, 2:02 PM EDT
General manager Ben Cherington denied a report that the Red Sox were telling teams they “definitely intend to trade” Kevin Youkilis.
“That’s inaccurate,” Cherington e-mailed WEEI.com Friday afternoon. “Some teams have checked in on him. We haven’t told any teams we plan to trade him. It’s our job to listen if teams have interest. He’s swinging the bat well since coming off the DL and [is] a big part of our team and lineup.”
OK, well, if I was running a team and I had a guy I wanted to trade I’d act like I didn’t want to trade him either. And it’s worth noting that, among the guys in the rumors game, Knobler doesn’t whiff all that often.
My guess is that someone on the team is giving him the straight dope and Cherington is making sure to (a) be diplomatic in the interests of not making Youkilis feel unwanted; and (b) is trying to make the team sound less interested in moving Youk for purposes of leverage preservation.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 4
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)