Jun 1, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
Georgia high school center fielder Byron Buxton will be one of the top five picks in Monday’s draft and might go No. 1 overall because of his five-tool skill set that includes spectacular speed and a high-upside bat.
Oh, and a great arm too.
Buxton’s team made the Georgia state championship series and they turned to him as a pitcher in the decisive final game yesterday. And boy did he deliver, racking up 18 strikeouts in seven innings for a complete-game victory.
He can spend the weekend celebrating, become famous Monday night, and then get started on negotiating a $5 million-plus contract. Not a bad week for the 18-year-old.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)