Jun 1, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
Georgia high school center fielder Byron Buxton will be one of the top five picks in Monday’s draft and might go No. 1 overall because of his five-tool skill set that includes spectacular speed and a high-upside bat.
Oh, and a great arm too.
Buxton’s team made the Georgia state championship series and they turned to him as a pitcher in the decisive final game yesterday. And boy did he deliver, racking up 18 strikeouts in seven innings for a complete-game victory.
He can spend the weekend celebrating, become famous Monday night, and then get started on negotiating a $5 million-plus contract. Not a bad week for the 18-year-old.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)