Jun 1, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Jon Jay and Skip Schumaker are on the disabled list, along with a half-dozen of the Cardinals’ other key players, so manager Mike Matheny is getting creative with tonight’s lineup: Carlos Beltran is playing center field for the first time since 2010.
That last center field start in 2010 came for the Mets, but tonight the 35-year-old Beltran will be playing against the Mets in New York.
He’ll be flanked by Matt Holliday in left field and Allen Craig in right field. Craig actually started in center field five times for the Cardinals last season, but since then he’s had knee surgery and just returned from a disabled list stint for a hamstring injury.
Shane Robinson and Adron Chambers are the other options in center field, which is why Matheny is willing to take the hit defensively–or at least put Beltran’s knees at increased risk–to get more offensive punch into the lineup.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million