Jun 1, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Jon Jay and Skip Schumaker are on the disabled list, along with a half-dozen of the Cardinals’ other key players, so manager Mike Matheny is getting creative with tonight’s lineup: Carlos Beltran is playing center field for the first time since 2010.
That last center field start in 2010 came for the Mets, but tonight the 35-year-old Beltran will be playing against the Mets in New York.
He’ll be flanked by Matt Holliday in left field and Allen Craig in right field. Craig actually started in center field five times for the Cardinals last season, but since then he’s had knee surgery and just returned from a disabled list stint for a hamstring injury.
Shane Robinson and Adron Chambers are the other options in center field, which is why Matheny is willing to take the hit defensively–or at least put Beltran’s knees at increased risk–to get more offensive punch into the lineup.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (148)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)