Carlos Beltran returns to Citi Field

Jun 1, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT

Carlos Beltran AP

The Cardinals head to Queens for a weekend series with the Mets, and we know what that means: lots of people focusing on the guy for something that happened nearly six years ago:

The Mets are planning a video tribute for Beltran whether he plays or not, similar to the one they staged for Jose Reyes‘ return in April. Beltran played in 839 regular-season games for the Mets, batting .280 with 149 home runs, 559 RBIs and 100 stolen bases.

But knee problems wrecked several years of Beltran’s Mets tenure. He perhaps is best known in Flushing for keeping the bat on his shoulder for the final out of the 2006 NLCS against the Cardinals and current teammate Adam Wainwright.

I’m curious to see if anyone cares. I hope not. Man, you gotta let go of stuff at some point, don’t ya?  And appreciate that Beltran was a really excellent player for most of his time in New York.

1. chill1184 - Jun 1, 2012 at 10:04 AM

You do realize that most fans don’t care at this point right? Its the classless NY media and the Ministry of Truth who continue to troll Beltran about the 2006 NLCS.

• mybrunoblog - Jun 1, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I agree. I have buddies who are Mets fans and when they mention Beltran I never hear much about the 2006 LCS.
      The media keeps bringing the 2006 LCS up.
      My Mets buddies mostly talk about all of Beltrans injuries. They also harp about the fact that he was a very good player on teams that had historic chokes down the stretch run.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 1, 2012 at 11:20 AM

You can’t blame Beltran for Brade Lidge serving up gopher balls to Scott Podsednik.

2. plummer2512 - Jun 1, 2012 at 10:09 AM

My biggest gripe about fans is how they treat former players. I’m a Sox fan and have never booed any former players especially those that were great, helped them win or were hard nosed players. When Damon, Boggs, Pedro, Lowe all came back I applauded and cheered. Heck, even when Manny came back as a Dodger I stood up and clapped while thousands upon thousands booed. I get he had a terrible exit with the team but you got to let it go. He also helped win 2 championships.

I hope the Mets fans applaud and cheer him in the first at bat. After that, he’s free game.

• ikedavisnose - Jun 1, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I totally agree, there is no way in hell that Beltran should be booed for One Damn At-Bat. Look at what he did in 2006, 2007, and when he wasn’t hurt in 2008,2009,2010,2011 he was great. Also unlike Reyes Beltran didn’t have a choice in whether he wanted to leave or not

3. Dusty Baker Clogs the Dugout - Jun 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I thought Eric Simon of Amazin’ Avenue put it best on Twitter the other day. As a Mets fan, I really can’t put it any better:

4. thefalcon123 - Jun 1, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Beltran’s state line in the 06 NLCS

.296/.387/.667, 8 runs, 3 homers, 4 RBIs. So he struck out in the last at bat, boo hoo. How he became vilified for that, more so than the guy who gave up the 9th inning homer to a guy who hit .216 with a .595 OPS that season is beyond me.

• Dusty Baker Clogs the Dugout - Jun 1, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Never mind that, when you look at his stat line for the year, it becomes clear he never would have even had the opportunity to strike out in Game Seven of the NLCS without his own contributions in getting the team to that point… It’s all so silly that he somehow got a bad rap for that.

5. The Dangerous Mabry - Jun 1, 2012 at 2:05 PM

When a guy throws a brilliant curveball, you can do one of three things:

1) Swing and miss
    2) Swing and hit it weakly (maybe foul if you’re lucky?)
    3) Take the pitch and hope it’s a ball.

Beltran opted for number 3, and I can’t see how you can blame him. It was probably his best chance at not getting out on that pitch.

6. jjpileggi - Jun 2, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Carlos Beltran was one of the finest players to wear a Met uniform. He was a gamer. And, with the Mets history of player injuries that are career threatening, let’s not forget he made a very notable comeback from a serious knee problem by essentially ignoring Met medical advice (for which they threatened to terminate his contract). A class act at all times.

John Pileggi