Jun 1, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
The Cardinals head to Queens for a weekend series with the Mets, and we know what that means: lots of people focusing on the guy for something that happened nearly six years ago:
The Mets are planning a video tribute for Beltran whether he plays or not, similar to the one they staged for Jose Reyes‘ return in April. Beltran played in 839 regular-season games for the Mets, batting .280 with 149 home runs, 559 RBIs and 100 stolen bases.
But knee problems wrecked several years of Beltran’s Mets tenure. He perhaps is best known in Flushing for keeping the bat on his shoulder for the final out of the 2006 NLCS against the Cardinals and current teammate Adam Wainwright.
I’m curious to see if anyone cares. I hope not. Man, you gotta let go of stuff at some point, don’t ya? And appreciate that Beltran was a really excellent player for most of his time in New York.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)