Don’t tell Ozzie Guillen that Mark Buehrle is not an ace

Jun 1, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT

Miami Marlins v Washington Nationals Getty Images

Ozzie Guillen had a good rant yesterday when someone suggested to him that Mark Buehrle is not an “ace.”  Joe Capozzi has it all, but here are a couple of highlights:

“Whoever said he is not the ace, I hope he doesn’t mind me taking his job because he doesn’t know what he’s talking about … If that kid was pitching for the New York Yankees, he would be the ace. But he’s pitching for the White Sox and the Marlins, who cares  … This guy throws 84, 85, 86 making $100 million dollars. There has to be a reason. You make all that money with that crap he throws, he better be good.’’

Guillen said he’d use Buehrle in Game 1 of the playoffs if they were to start today because, even if he’s not the guy who strikes out 300 dudes a year, he knows what he’s gonna get from Buehrle.

People sometimes wonder why Guillen kept his job so long in Chicago and why he is ensconced in Miami. I think a big part of that is that his players absolutely love him. And one of the reasons they do: he has their backs, always.

1. diehardcubbiefan4life - Jun 1, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Although I am a diehard Cubs fan, I must grudgingly admit that I DO have respect for Guillen as a manager. Says some stupid shit though

2. Chris Fiorentino - Jun 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Sorry Ozzie, CC would still be the ace if Buehrle were pitching for the Yankees. He’d be the #4 starter on the Phillies or Nationals. I would still start Josh Johnson over him in Game 1 of the playoffs. But that’s just Ozzie being Ozzie.

And this is coming from one of the bigger Buehrle fans on this board. I have always thought he was very underrated and is a horse. I was surprised he didn’t have more suitors during the off-season.

3. hermitfool - Jun 1, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Ozzie has your back unless your name is Magglio Ordonez.

• Old Gator - Jun 1, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Or Alex Rios. And didn’t he and his cretinous fry tear into one of their peetchers a couple of years ago?

4. randygnyc - Jun 1, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Buerhle the ace if he was on the Yankees? Hahaha. Thanks Ozzie, I needed a good chest heaving, belly aching, side splitting laugh.

He could possibly be the 5th starter, in place of Hughes. Maybe.

• dan1111 - Jun 1, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Well, since you’re so set against inaccurate player assessments, it’s worth pointing out that:

1) Buerhle’s 2012 ERA is better than ALL of the Yankees’ starters.
      2) Except for CC, Buerhle has a better career ERA+ than all of them. Yep, even Pettitte.
      3) Really? You might prefer Phil Hughes to Buerhle? Ha!
      4) Phil Hughes stinks.

• madhatternalice - Jun 1, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Thanks for posting this rebuttal. I really, really hate unsubstantiated allegations from people who simply _think_ they are right :)

• Jonny 5 - Jun 1, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Randygnyc, is actually a bear. And bears HATE Buehrle. I’ve even heard bears and bear lovers alike wish Buehrle harm for his torturous way of killing bears with arrows and knives and stuff. But not wild bears, bears on “game preserves” which are fenced in.

• Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Jun 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I really love this comment.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I didn’t check the #’s in my post above…would Buerhle really be the #4 starter on the Phillies and Nationals? I figured you did such a bang-up job here, you probably would have ripped me all the same if I wasn’t right above ;)

• nightman13 - Jun 1, 2012 at 1:43 PM

And I think the whole point is being misconstrued. Ozzie was saying that Buerhle has not played for a premier franchise like the Yankees and if he did, there would be far more hype for him.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 1, 2012 at 1:58 PM

If you read the actual article with all the comments from Ozzie, he contradicts himself about 30 times. First, he’s my ace. Then he says even my ace isn’t pitching like my ace…referring to Josh Johnson. Then he says Buerhle has numbers like CC and Halladay. Then he says he isn’t Verlander or CC.

So basically, what he is doing is finding a way to be his typical annoying ranting and raving self. Everyone knows what an ace is. Even Ozzie admits that he does when he says Johnson is his ace. And he insinuates that Verlander and CC are aces.

I don’t think the radio person was mocking Buehrle when he said he was not an ace. I don’t think Beuhrle is an ace. There aren’t many aces in baseball.

Just off the top of my head…in no particular order…
        Verlander
        CC
        Doc
        Lee
        Hamels
        Kershaw
        Peavy is bouncing back real nice
        Lincecum(although not this year)
        Cain
        Greinke
        Carpenter(if he ever gets healthy)
        Strasburg

Who else? I mean, Gio is having a great year, but is he an ace yet? Same with Sanchez for the Marlins. I am sure I am missing some. But the point is that Beuhrle isn’t someone I would say is an ace. He’s never had a really dominant year. His lowest ERA was 3.12. But I love the guy because he is a horse(11 straight years of 200+ innings makes you a horse in my book).

5. hansob - Jun 1, 2012 at 11:31 AM

The other 3 points I agree with, but comparing an NL pitcher’s ERA who pitches in one of the biggest ballparks in the league to AL pitchers’ ERA who pitch in one of the smallest ballparks in the league is comparing apples to aircraft carriers.

• nightman13 - Jun 1, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Buerhle’s been in the NL for 2 months.

6. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 1, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Pitchers must dream of having such loyalty from their manager.

7. Old Gator - Jun 1, 2012 at 2:57 PM

No one can pitch like Fidel though, Ozzie. You must love his brass knuckleball.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3893)