Jun 1, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
“Whoever said he is not the ace, I hope he doesn’t mind me taking his job because he doesn’t know what he’s talking about … If that kid was pitching for the New York Yankees, he would be the ace. But he’s pitching for the White Sox and the Marlins, who cares … This guy throws 84, 85, 86 making $100 million dollars. There has to be a reason. You make all that money with that crap he throws, he better be good.’’
Guillen said he’d use Buehrle in Game 1 of the playoffs if they were to start today because, even if he’s not the guy who strikes out 300 dudes a year, he knows what he’s gonna get from Buehrle.
People sometimes wonder why Guillen kept his job so long in Chicago and why he is ensconced in Miami. I think a big part of that is that his players absolutely love him. And one of the reasons they do: he has their backs, always.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)