Jun 1, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Ernesto Frieri was plenty dominant with the Padres, throwing 108 innings with a 2.33 ERA and 11.4 strikeouts per nine innings, but what the reliever has done since being traded to the Angels is just silly.
Frieri, who was acquired from San Diego for prospects Alexi Amarista and Donn Roach on May 3, has thrown 12 innings with a 0.00 ERA. But wait, there’s more. He’s faced 47 batters and has yet to allow a hit while striking out 25 of them.
His control has been spotty with 10 walks, but opponents are batting .000 with a .261 on-base percentage and a .000 slugging percentage off Frieri. And a bullpen that was once a weakness for the Angels is now a strength, playing a big part in the team’s dramatic turnaround.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)