Great Moments in Self-Awareness: Reggie Jackson hates arrogant ballplayers

Jun 1, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT

Reggie Jackson

At some point, we all get old. And when we get old, we apparently forget about what it was like to be young.  Case in point: Reggie Jackson, who tells Bob Nightengale of USA Today that he doesn’t like to see showboating among today’s players:

“What I’m seeing these days, and some of the arrogance, I feel like walking up, and saying, ‘What’s wrong with you? You can’t play. That’s not style. It’s a goofy act.’ “I know it’s entertainment, but if you have style and can’t play, then you’re nothing more than a fool. I see a lot of fools out there.”

I appreciate the “do something before you act arrogant” idea, but this is pretty rich coming from a guy who called himself “the straw that stirs the drink” in the Bronx before he even had a single at bat as a Yankee. Yes, he walked the walk. But he talked the talk first and has rarely ceased talking it, even many years after his career ended.

As for young players today: how dare they have fun!

1. Chris Fiorentino - Jun 1, 2012 at 1:23 PM

i·ro·ny [ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-] noun, plural i·ro·nies.

1. the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning:
    the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.

2. Literature
    a technique of indicating, as through character or plot development,
    an intention or attitude opposite to that which is actually or ostensibly stated.
    b.(especially in contemporary writing) a manner of organizing a work so as
    to give full expression to contradictory or complementary impulses, attitudes, etc.,
    especially as a means of indicating detachment from a subject, theme, or emotion.

3. Socratic irony.

4. dramatic irony.

5. an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.

6. Reggie Jackson irony: “What I’m seeing these days, and some of the arrogance,
    It’s a goofy act.’ ”I know it’s entertainment, but if you have style and can’t play,
    then you’re nothing more than a fool. I see a lot of fools out there.”

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Jun 1, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Holy $hit dude give it a rest.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 1, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I’m just living up to your name…except for the broke part. I’m getting paid while I post stuff here. You keep on loving yourself some you. I’ll keep posting. Have a great weekend sir/madam.

2. scatterbrian - Jun 1, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I met Reggie once while he was filling up at a gas station where I used to work. I didn’t ask for an autograph or anything, just approached him and said, “Hey Reggie! I’m a born and raised A’s fan and just wanted to say thank you.” Reggie replied, “You guys got a bathroom?” A co-worker correctly predicted he’d piss on the seat.

• hoopmatch - Jun 1, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Thanks for the story, dude. I just put it on my Tumblr blog.

3. brewcrewfan54 - Jun 1, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Do as I say, not as I do.

4. natstowngreg - Jun 1, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Pete Rose once said, it ain’t braggin’ if you do it. I believe Pete was referring to his hitting, not his gambling. Or his command of the English language.

Reggie has a point about some guys braggin’ when they haven’t done it. Reggie is just the wrong messenger for that point.

• natstowngreg - Jun 1, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Should be “Nor,” of course.

• jimbo1949 - Jun 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Pete probably heard it from Dizzy Dean, who probably heard it from somebody else. Nothing new etc.

5. ezthinking - Jun 1, 2012 at 6:21 PM

and then Reggie said, “Please keep your damn children off my lawn!”

• Old Gator - Jun 2, 2012 at 9:35 AM

As he well should. Children are horrible.

6. djpostl - Jun 1, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Did you miss the part where he said “but if you have style and can’t play, then you’re nothing more than a fool.”?

He clearly didn’t fall into that category.

• IdahoMariner - Jun 1, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Did you miss the part where Craig pointed out that he was being an arrogant ass before he had actually delivered?

Also, arrogance in anybody is lame, not justified by being able to hit a ball really far. But methinks Reggie is more annoyed by the goofiness of young players than their arrogance…cuz Reggie can’t get those damn kids off his lawn.

• Old Gator - Jun 2, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Let’s correct that: before he had actually delivered -for the Borg. He had been consistently delivering for Oakland for years prior to coming to the Bronx. Reggie’s money was where his mouth was long before his mouth got to where his money was. As one who can proudly lay claim to having been at Game 6 of the ’77 series, I have nothing but slack to cut for the inimitable Sir Reggie. He delivered like the postmen of my youth.

• djpostl - Jun 2, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Completely agree on the part about nobody should be an arrogant ass.

Completely disagree on the “Reggie was being arrogant before he delivered” considering his first full season in the bigs, before they lowered the mound and in a huge “dead ball era” he hit 29 Hrs. 2d year 47 dingers.

Dude hit the big leagues and “delivered” from day one.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4597)