Jun 1, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
In what will likely be the final chapter of the Hawk Harrelson rant, we learn that he was given a talking-to by Bud Selig yesterday and White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf today:
“I talked to Bud Selig yesterday,” Harrelson told ESPNChicago.com’s Bruce Levine on Friday morning. “We had a talk. Actually, Bud talked and I listened. If it was a prize fight, they would have stopped it in the first round.
“I also talked to Jerry, and I listened to him as well. That’s all I really have to say.”
No word on how many Advils Hawk has taken since he got off the phone with those guys.
We’ve had a lot of fun with this, but I do have one legitimate concern here: I hope this doesn’t chill announcers from noting and commenting on poor umpiring.
Because while Harrelson’s went way over the top, acting on emotion and homerism as opposed to actually analyzing what happened, there is a lot more room for reasoned criticism of umpire’s calls in baseball broadcasts. Indeed, there should be more of it. Just not in the way Hawk went about it.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)