Jun 1, 2012, 12:30 PM EST
In what will likely be the final chapter of the Hawk Harrelson rant, we learn that he was given a talking-to by Bud Selig yesterday and White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf today:
“I talked to Bud Selig yesterday,” Harrelson told ESPNChicago.com’s Bruce Levine on Friday morning. “We had a talk. Actually, Bud talked and I listened. If it was a prize fight, they would have stopped it in the first round.
“I also talked to Jerry, and I listened to him as well. That’s all I really have to say.”
No word on how many Advils Hawk has taken since he got off the phone with those guys.
We’ve had a lot of fun with this, but I do have one legitimate concern here: I hope this doesn’t chill announcers from noting and commenting on poor umpiring.
Because while Harrelson’s went way over the top, acting on emotion and homerism as opposed to actually analyzing what happened, there is a lot more room for reasoned criticism of umpire’s calls in baseball broadcasts. Indeed, there should be more of it. Just not in the way Hawk went about it.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)