Jun 1, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
In what will likely be the final chapter of the Hawk Harrelson rant, we learn that he was given a talking-to by Bud Selig yesterday and White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf today:
“I talked to Bud Selig yesterday,” Harrelson told ESPNChicago.com’s Bruce Levine on Friday morning. “We had a talk. Actually, Bud talked and I listened. If it was a prize fight, they would have stopped it in the first round.
“I also talked to Jerry, and I listened to him as well. That’s all I really have to say.”
No word on how many Advils Hawk has taken since he got off the phone with those guys.
We’ve had a lot of fun with this, but I do have one legitimate concern here: I hope this doesn’t chill announcers from noting and commenting on poor umpiring.
Because while Harrelson’s went way over the top, acting on emotion and homerism as opposed to actually analyzing what happened, there is a lot more room for reasoned criticism of umpire’s calls in baseball broadcasts. Indeed, there should be more of it. Just not in the way Hawk went about it.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 47
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 58
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)