Hawk Harrelson was called on the carpet by Bud Selig and Jerry Reinsdorf

Jun 1, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT

hawk harrelson

In what will likely be the final chapter of the Hawk Harrelson rant, we learn that he was given a talking-to by Bud Selig yesterday and White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf today:

“I talked to Bud Selig yesterday,” Harrelson told ESPNChicago.com’s Bruce Levine on Friday morning. “We had a talk. Actually, Bud talked and I listened. If it was a prize fight, they would have stopped it in the first round.

“I also talked to Jerry, and I listened to him as well. That’s all I really have to say.”

No word on how many Advils Hawk has taken since he got off the phone with those guys.

Because while Harrelson’s went way over the top, acting on emotion and homerism as opposed to actually analyzing what happened, there is a lot more room for reasoned criticism of umpire’s calls in baseball broadcasts. Indeed, there should be more of it. Just not in the way Hawk went about it.

1. phillyphever - Jun 1, 2012 at 12:35 PM

“We’ve had a lot of fun with this, but I do have one legitimate concern here: I hope this doesn’t chill announcers from noting and commenting on poor umpiring.”

There’s not a single thing in the world that would stop Larry Anderson from getting on the umps when they do something bad.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 1, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Isn’t it funny how they always joke about this the first game of the baseball season. The first umpire screwup, usually within the first few innings, LA will be like “Oh God…OK, I’m not going to say anything.” Then by the 6th inning, he is like “Where was that pitch? This is ridiculous”

Always loved when HK would say “The wind-up…the 0-2 pitch…right down the middle for a ball 1-2″

2. Uncle Charlie - Jun 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM

It isn’t an act, that’s the genius of the Hawk.

• sabatimus - Jun 1, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I’m going to assume this is a failed attempt at being funny.

3. IdahoMariner - Jun 1, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I would hope they called him on the carpet for being an angry, out of control jackass on a broadcast for a sport that tries to draw in new fans (children especially) every day, because no stories about how someone came to love the game are about how they spent their childhood listening to the broadcasts, and being captivated by the angry swearing out to control crazy who worked for their team.
    But this Bud, so yeah, it was probably just about telling him not to criticize the umps, not matter how it’s done. Forest for the trees, bud.

• mrdoza - Jun 1, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I actually loved to watch the White Sox as a kid partly because of a drunken Harry Carry and bat-shiat crazy Jimmy Piersall. Their booth arguments were legendary. There’s a lot of dull moments in baseball, especially for a kid and having an entertaining commentator helps.

4. heyblueyoustink - Jun 1, 2012 at 12:40 PM

For some reason I read this and the phrase ” state run news outlets ” came to mind.

5. sabatimus - Jun 1, 2012 at 12:42 PM

“Because while Harrelson’s went way over the top, acting on emotion and homerism as opposed to actually analyzing what happened”…..

…you mean, how he calls EVERY GAME? I don’t think the man is capable of self-examination or any degree of objectivity.

6. dexterismyhero - Jun 1, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Maybe Bud told Reinsdorf to tell the Hawk….”He Gone”

7. cerowb - Jun 1, 2012 at 12:54 PM

While Hawk may have listened to both Selig and Reinsdorf, it doesn’t appear he actually learned anything or is showing any sort of regret. Neither one of these observations surprises me, unfortunately.

• dcg13 - Jun 1, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Prescient response, considering there’s not been a CWS game since (and thus Harrelson announcing) since the ejection or his talk with Selig and Reinsdorf.

• cerowb - Jun 1, 2012 at 1:10 PM

He doesn’t have to announce a game to be able to communicate with the baseball world. It seems Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago found him just fine, he certainly had an opportunity to admit he was acting petulantly then. I’m sure he’ll apologize on air, but it will be lip service. He’ll talk and I’ll listen, and that’s all I really have to say.

8. dowhatifeellike - Jun 1, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Jim Palmer comments on the officiating every game he works, but he’s fairly diplomatic and doesn’t get all worked up over it. I wouldn’t worry about it going away.

9. hcf95688 - Jun 1, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I sure am glad Selig spent his valuable time on this very important matter, rather than wasting it on trivialities such as finally ruling on A’s to San Jose.

• comeonnowguys - Jun 1, 2012 at 2:35 PM

To be fair, any move to reel in Hawk is of the utmost importance to the game of baseball.

10. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 1, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I love listening to Len and Bob when I watch the Cubs because they do professionally call out umpires on awful calls – especially Bob. I can hear the anger in his former managerial persona rising. But he’s good about it.

11. NJgriffNC - Jun 1, 2012 at 2:19 PM

How about someone calls Bud Selig out on the carpet? The man’s entire career has been marked with atrocities. The most recent, and possibly most egregious, being the whole Ryan Braun suspension repeal. Especially with his close ties to the Milwaukee organization. Oh yeah and he makes $22 million a year. Appauling. Pro sports are a big enough deal these days where commissioners should be voted in by the people every 5 years or so. I know this is not exactly relevant to the topic here, but it pissed me off to read that this guy is calling people out on the carpet when no one can or will call him out.

• winkandthegun - Jun 1, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Voted in by the people? Are you saying the fans should vote for the commissioner?? You only have to look at the voting for the all-star game to know how utterly foolish that would be. It would be Derek Jeter and Tim Tebow as acting commissioner until Justin Bieber was old enough.

12. dschilz - Jun 1, 2012 at 2:25 PM

GIve me a break! Hawk called it as he saw it. I am not surprised given the structure in baseball and of the White Sox that Reinsdorf would feel the need to “scold” him .It is not even surprising that Selig got his big nose involved in it. He doesn’t do much of real work so why not get involved in a minor issue.The real issue here is that some goof gave the Umpires Union too much power a while back. Now nothing can be done about their bad work. I have watched baseball for over 40 years and whether its the Yankees, Sox, Cubs , whoever ,mistakes are ignored because no one wants to take them on…most especially that tool Selig.I don’t see why Hawk is getting such a bad time about it. He said exactly what everyone was thinking and by the way, those broadcasters or color guys make an otherwise boring game interested.( Sorry but Len & Bob are about as thrilling as pint drying.)So yeah, let’s tell them to “tone it down” , by all means. I am guessing if it were the Brewers Selig would be more interested.

• comeonnowguys - Jun 1, 2012 at 2:36 PM

The problem is not that Hawk calls it as he sees it. It’s that he’s apparently watching a different game in a different reality.

Unless the Sox are losing, then he just sits in his chair and silently pouts.

• NJgriffNC - Jun 1, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Standing ovation.

13. rcali - Jun 1, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Please resign Bud Selig.

• jimbo1949 - Jun 1, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I thought he just got a new contract? You want to give him another one?

14. mvd513 - Jun 1, 2012 at 3:46 PM

This is baseball. No opinions allowed.

15. thomas2727 - Jun 1, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I wonder if Hawk was feeling a “Big Hurt” or a
    “Little Hurt” after his meeting? “Big Bad” Bud Selig is “One Dog” you don’t want to mess with.

16. stairwayto7 - Jun 1, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Suspend him now and put him oin rehab!

17. buffalo65 - Jun 1, 2012 at 5:36 PM

He was a brutal broadcaster before this, and he is still a brutal broadcaster after.

18. vincentbojackson - Jun 1, 2012 at 11:21 PM

The best announcers in the game are able to remain somewhat objective even though they’re on the team’s payroll.

Hawk is one of the biggest homers out there. Totally incapable of keeping his emotions in check or having anything that resembles an objective viewpoint.

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3488)