Jun 1, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Marlins reliever Juan Carlos Oviedo is currently serving an eight-week suspension for falsifying his identity, but apparently the pitcher formerly known as Leo Nunez got a much stiffer penalty than the pitcher formerly known as Fausto Carmona is likely to receive.
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Carmona, who’s now known as Roberto Hernandez, could be back with the Indians by the All-Star break and likely will not have to serve a lengthy suspension once he returns.
Hernandez was found to be 31 years old instead of his listed 28 and, like Oviedo, was arrested during the offseason. According to Hoynes the fact that Hernandez agreed to re-work his contract with the Indians and gave up approximately $4.5 million in the process may keep him from a suspension if that’s deemed punishment enough.
Getting a work visa and building back his arm strength are different issues, of course, so there’s no need to pencil Hernandez/Carmona into the Indians’ rotation quite yet.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights