Jun 1, 2012, 1:03 AM EDT
Stephen Drew is getting closer to returning to the Arizona lineup. He’ll play nine innings in extended spring games both Friday and Saturday as he further steps up his rehab.
Drew has been on the DL all season after suffering a broken ankle sliding into home plate last July 20. The Diamondbacks, though, have gotten good shortstop play in his absence, particularly from John McDonald. Their shortstops have a .777 OPS this season (.916 from McDonald, .701 from Willie Bloomquist).
If this weekend goes well, it seems a given that Drew will begin a minor league rehab assignment next week with an eye towards rejoining the Diamondbacks in mid-June. He’s not pain-free, but that’s probably not going to change at any point during the season.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)