Jun 1, 2012, 1:03 AM EST
Stephen Drew is getting closer to returning to the Arizona lineup. He’ll play nine innings in extended spring games both Friday and Saturday as he further steps up his rehab.
Drew has been on the DL all season after suffering a broken ankle sliding into home plate last July 20. The Diamondbacks, though, have gotten good shortstop play in his absence, particularly from John McDonald. Their shortstops have a .777 OPS this season (.916 from McDonald, .701 from Willie Bloomquist).
If this weekend goes well, it seems a given that Drew will begin a minor league rehab assignment next week with an eye towards rejoining the Diamondbacks in mid-June. He’s not pain-free, but that’s probably not going to change at any point during the season.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)