Jun 1, 2012, 2:30 PM EST
Remember when that guy threatened to tell the world about how he and Carl Pavano had “an emotional and physical relationship” in high school unless Pavano gave him a navy Range Rover with tan leather? Well, the investigation into it has been dropped:
Police in Connecticut have closed an investigation into allegations of a blackmail attempt against Minnesota Twins pitcher Carl Pavano without making an arrest.
Southington police Lt. Lowell DePalma said the case was closed because Pavano and his family declined to provide statements.
You’ll recall that it was Pavano’s sister who received the alleged threat and contacted police. The extortion suspect, Christian Bedard, had this to say about her and the investigation:
Bedard said Thursday, May 31, that he is glad the investigation is over. He said, “Carl and the Pavano family can thank his sister for bringing national attention to these false allegations and our relationship.”
If you care about such things, Bedard said at the time of the original report that the fact of he and Pavano’s relationship was true, just that he never threatened Pavano with revealing it. It seems like he still stands by that. As a legal matter, however, the case is closed.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (118)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)