Jun 1, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
Remember when that guy threatened to tell the world about how he and Carl Pavano had “an emotional and physical relationship” in high school unless Pavano gave him a navy Range Rover with tan leather? Well, the investigation into it has been dropped:
Police in Connecticut have closed an investigation into allegations of a blackmail attempt against Minnesota Twins pitcher Carl Pavano without making an arrest.
Southington police Lt. Lowell DePalma said the case was closed because Pavano and his family declined to provide statements.
You’ll recall that it was Pavano’s sister who received the alleged threat and contacted police. The extortion suspect, Christian Bedard, had this to say about her and the investigation:
Bedard said Thursday, May 31, that he is glad the investigation is over. He said, “Carl and the Pavano family can thank his sister for bringing national attention to these false allegations and our relationship.”
If you care about such things, Bedard said at the time of the original report that the fact of he and Pavano’s relationship was true, just that he never threatened Pavano with revealing it. It seems like he still stands by that. As a legal matter, however, the case is closed.
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 13
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)