Jun 1, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
The Padres did a couple of things in the offseason that didn’t necessarily go together: (1) traded for Yasmani Grandal from the Reds (among others); and (2) signed Nick Hundley to a contract extension.
Given Grandal’s obvious promise, this seemed to create a bit of a problem. Grandal himself certainly saw that he may be blocked in San Diego, saying “if I don’t make it to the big leagues with this club I can make it with any other team.” Well, he now has a chance to make it with this club:
Yasmani Grandal was told after the game tonight that he’s being called up to San Diego. Not sure what the corresponding move is.
— Daniel Berk (@DSBerk) June 1, 2012
Hundley has began the season in miserable fashion, hitting .169/.234/.282 in 40 games. In light of that, and in light of Grandal’s numbers in Tucson — .317/.421/.500 — you have to figure that, Hundley contract or not, Grandal will be given every chance to win the starting job.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (85)