Jun 1, 2012, 9:12 AM EST
The Padres did a couple of things in the offseason that didn’t necessarily go together: (1) traded for Yasmani Grandal from the Reds (among others); and (2) signed Nick Hundley to a contract extension.
Given Grandal’s obvious promise, this seemed to create a bit of a problem. Grandal himself certainly saw that he may be blocked in San Diego, saying “if I don’t make it to the big leagues with this club I can make it with any other team.” Well, he now has a chance to make it with this club:
Yasmani Grandal was told after the game tonight that he’s being called up to San Diego. Not sure what the corresponding move is.
— Daniel Berk (@DSBerk) June 1, 2012
Hundley has began the season in miserable fashion, hitting .169/.234/.282 in 40 games. In light of that, and in light of Grandal’s numbers in Tucson — .317/.421/.500 — you have to figure that, Hundley contract or not, Grandal will be given every chance to win the starting job.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 0
- MLB Players React to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 9
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)