Jun 1, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
The Padres did a couple of things in the offseason that didn’t necessarily go together: (1) traded for Yasmani Grandal from the Reds (among others); and (2) signed Nick Hundley to a contract extension.
Given Grandal’s obvious promise, this seemed to create a bit of a problem. Grandal himself certainly saw that he may be blocked in San Diego, saying “if I don’t make it to the big leagues with this club I can make it with any other team.” Well, he now has a chance to make it with this club:
Yasmani Grandal was told after the game tonight that he’s being called up to San Diego. Not sure what the corresponding move is.
— Daniel Berk (@DSBerk) June 1, 2012
Hundley has began the season in miserable fashion, hitting .169/.234/.282 in 40 games. In light of that, and in light of Grandal’s numbers in Tucson — .317/.421/.500 — you have to figure that, Hundley contract or not, Grandal will be given every chance to win the starting job.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)