Jun 1, 2012, 9:12 AM EST
The Padres did a couple of things in the offseason that didn’t necessarily go together: (1) traded for Yasmani Grandal from the Reds (among others); and (2) signed Nick Hundley to a contract extension.
Given Grandal’s obvious promise, this seemed to create a bit of a problem. Grandal himself certainly saw that he may be blocked in San Diego, saying “if I don’t make it to the big leagues with this club I can make it with any other team.” Well, he now has a chance to make it with this club:
Yasmani Grandal was told after the game tonight that he’s being called up to San Diego. Not sure what the corresponding move is.
— Daniel Berk (@DSBerk) June 1, 2012
Hundley has began the season in miserable fashion, hitting .169/.234/.282 in 40 games. In light of that, and in light of Grandal’s numbers in Tucson — .317/.421/.500 — you have to figure that, Hundley contract or not, Grandal will be given every chance to win the starting job.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)