Jun 1, 2012, 6:23 PM EDT
The fallout from Friday’s Yasmani Grandal promotion has come: the Padres designated Jeff Suppan for assignment prior to their game against the Diamondbacks.
The 37-year-old Suppan started off with two surprisingly strong starts for the Padres, but he was 0-3 in four outings since. Plus, the appearances were getting worse. From first start to last, here’s his earned run count: 0, 1, 2, 4, 5, 6.
Suppan also managed just seven strikeouts in his 30 2/3 innings for San Diego. Even in Petco Park, that’s not going to cut it. He averaged 2.05 strikeouts per nine innings this season. For comparison’s sake, Jamie Moyer was averaging 6.03 K/9 IP for the Rockies before he was cut this week.
Suppan will probably clear waivers, and he could opt to stay with the Padres and report to Triple-A. He’d have a better shot of returning to the majors with them than he would just about anywhere else, even though he’ll likely drop behind the newly signed Jason Marquis in the pecking order.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)