The Yankees may be interested in Matt Garza

Jun 1, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT

Matt Garza AP

The Yankees are probably going to seek some pitching help this trade season. And Jon Heyman reports that they’re most likely target is Matt Garza:

Yankees people like the fact Garza is battle-tested in the American League East after acquiring too many pitchers from the National League who haven’t been able to make a seamless transition to the A.L. The Yankees seem to have little interest in Brewers stars Zack Greinke and Shaun Marcum or the other top Cubs starter Ryan Dempster, as they have concerns about Greinke in New York and Marcum and Dempster in the A.L. Even though Marcum pitched pretty well for the Blue Jays, the Yankees are concerned about his low radar readings in the A.L.

I guess the Yankees are allowed to be concerned about the radar gun but, as Heyman notes, his strikeout rates while pitching for the Blue Jays were solid and the division didn’t seem to phase him all that much.

I guess Zack Greinke is never going to be a Yankees target, with his anxiety issues — rightly or wrongly — being thought of as an impediment to success in New York. He’s easily the best pitcher mentioned here, though. Part of me would love to see him traded to New York as a rental, go 11-1 with a 1.01 ERA down the stretch and then walk away as a free agent saying “just not challenging enough for me, dudes.”

As for Garza: He’s from Selma, California. And I have it on pretty good authority that in Selma, California, “Garza” is slang for “Javier Vazquez.” ¬†You can look it up.

1. El Bravo - Jun 1, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Not bad. Cubs may get something nice out of that. Sell sell sell! Everything must go! Except Castro…F Sazmakl;jfadshjf;jdafadzklmklcmfsajoihjaoiewfjwqoiza

2. uyf1950 - Jun 1, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Aside from the fact that Garza has experience pitching in the AL East he would be under team control for the 2013 season and then a free agent for the 2014 season. If the Yankees did get him and then decided he was to expensive starting in 2014 for them to get to their Luxury Tax target they can move on. I guess it’s all going to come down to what the Cubs/Theo will be looking for for compensation. But it never hurts to check it out.

3. pisano - Jun 1, 2012 at 6:04 PM

uyf1950… my friend, how about a package that includes Phil Hughes? I just don’t think he has the make-up to be a winner with the Yankees.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 1, 2012 at 6:23 PM

I would rather have Marcum than Garza. Marcum is mentally tough and is a superb fielder. As far as Hughes is concerned, I liked his performance the last time he pitched in Toronto. The Yankees lost, but it was not his fault.

• uyf1950 - Jun 1, 2012 at 7:04 PM

proudly, the trouble with Marcum is he is going to require a long term deal being a FA at the end of this year. He’s also 2 years older than Garza. And a can’t get the bad taste out of my mouth the way he pitched for the Brewers in last years post season. He was absolutely terrible. So I have to think the combination of him being older, requiring a longer term deal and his very poor 2011 post season performance is a clear no go signal for the Yankees.

• bigharold - Jun 1, 2012 at 9:15 PM

“.. the trouble with Marcum is he is going to require a long term deal being a FA at the end of this year.”

True enough but conversely, if he’s closer to FA than he should cost less in prospects too. But,, you point about the what the Cubs will want in compensation is key. Considering that it appears that the Cubs are jumping into rebuilding mode my guess is that Epstein will want prospects that are not only close to MLB ready but highly touted as well.

• smorris793 - Jun 2, 2012 at 12:39 PM

“is a superb fielder.” Wha??? Who cares about fielding from a pitcher? Yes it’s nice to have a pitcher who fields his position well, but how many times per game does a pitcher actually field balls? I’m too lazy to look it up, but I imagine the runs saved difference between the best and worst fielding pitchers is negligible, especially over just half a season.

• uyf1950 - Jun 1, 2012 at 6:28 PM

pisano my friend. I think Hughes would excel in the National League. I still think he can be a valuable asset to the Yankees perhaps not as a starter but most definitely in their bullpen. The problem with that for the Yankees very shortly his salary will be to much for just a bullpen pitcher (unless he were the closer). Like I said I think he would be an excellent pitch up for a National League team w/bigger ballparks no DH.

• uyf1950 - Jun 1, 2012 at 6:30 PM

oops…should be “pick up for a National League team……”

• bigharold - Jun 1, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I’d prefer that the Yankees keep Hughes for the remainder of the season, .. as a make or break starter audition. If he does well enough he can be a valuable 3ish starter. If not, I think Hughes has shown he can excel as in the pen. As much as I like Robertson, .. and I love the guy, .. I think he throws too many pitches to be the closer.

4. blueintown - Jun 1, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Castro can go to. Sell high while you can, stock your system. This isn’t a RE-building process, it’s a BUILDING process.

5. randygnyc - Jun 1, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I’ve been aging garza for a long while now. Also, I believe the Yankees will have an honest trading partner in the cubs with Theo at the helm. There are no disincentives for Theo in dealing with the Yankees. The cubs won’t diminish their championship chances in the short term, because they have none.

And Theo gets a chance to stick it to the red sox by dealing garza to the Yankees.

6. ezthinking - Jun 1, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Garza = Ubaldo Jimenez, A.J Burnett, John Lackey, and about a dozen others that are maddeningly inconsistent pitchers that would/have failed just as miserably on a big stage as a small one.

Any contender should avoid him at any cost.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 1, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Since you put it that way, I hope the Yankees trade for him.

• mgdsquiggy17 - Jun 2, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Garza pitched pretty well in the playoffs in 2008 for Tampa. How exactly has he failed on the big stage? or are you talking about NY?

7. buffalomafia - Jun 1, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Trade russell martins sorry ass!

How can you play a catcher that bats under .180?

• Kevin S. - Jun 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Because he’s awesome defensively and, while not getting hits, still gets on base at a pretty solid rate for a catcher.

• zfreak666 - Jun 2, 2012 at 11:16 PM

He does need to step it up big f’n time at the plate if he’s going to stay. Otherwise he can go IMO.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet