Jun 1, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT
Yankees people like the fact Garza is battle-tested in the American League East after acquiring too many pitchers from the National League who haven’t been able to make a seamless transition to the A.L. The Yankees seem to have little interest in Brewers stars Zack Greinke and Shaun Marcum or the other top Cubs starter Ryan Dempster, as they have concerns about Greinke in New York and Marcum and Dempster in the A.L. Even though Marcum pitched pretty well for the Blue Jays, the Yankees are concerned about his low radar readings in the A.L.
I guess the Yankees are allowed to be concerned about the radar gun but, as Heyman notes, his strikeout rates while pitching for the Blue Jays were solid and the division didn’t seem to phase him all that much.
I guess Zack Greinke is never going to be a Yankees target, with his anxiety issues — rightly or wrongly — being thought of as an impediment to success in New York. He’s easily the best pitcher mentioned here, though. Part of me would love to see him traded to New York as a rental, go 11-1 with a 1.01 ERA down the stretch and then walk away as a free agent saying “just not challenging enough for me, dudes.”
As for Garza: He’s from Selma, California. And I have it on pretty good authority that in Selma, California, “Garza” is slang for “Javier Vazquez.” You can look it up.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)