Jun 1, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT
Yankees people like the fact Garza is battle-tested in the American League East after acquiring too many pitchers from the National League who haven’t been able to make a seamless transition to the A.L. The Yankees seem to have little interest in Brewers stars Zack Greinke and Shaun Marcum or the other top Cubs starter Ryan Dempster, as they have concerns about Greinke in New York and Marcum and Dempster in the A.L. Even though Marcum pitched pretty well for the Blue Jays, the Yankees are concerned about his low radar readings in the A.L.
I guess the Yankees are allowed to be concerned about the radar gun but, as Heyman notes, his strikeout rates while pitching for the Blue Jays were solid and the division didn’t seem to phase him all that much.
I guess Zack Greinke is never going to be a Yankees target, with his anxiety issues — rightly or wrongly — being thought of as an impediment to success in New York. He’s easily the best pitcher mentioned here, though. Part of me would love to see him traded to New York as a rental, go 11-1 with a 1.01 ERA down the stretch and then walk away as a free agent saying “just not challenging enough for me, dudes.”
As for Garza: He’s from Selma, California. And I have it on pretty good authority that in Selma, California, “Garza” is slang for “Javier Vazquez.” You can look it up.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 333
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 45
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (333)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (160)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)