Jun 1, 2012, 5:32 PM EST
Yankees people like the fact Garza is battle-tested in the American League East after acquiring too many pitchers from the National League who haven’t been able to make a seamless transition to the A.L. The Yankees seem to have little interest in Brewers stars Zack Greinke and Shaun Marcum or the other top Cubs starter Ryan Dempster, as they have concerns about Greinke in New York and Marcum and Dempster in the A.L. Even though Marcum pitched pretty well for the Blue Jays, the Yankees are concerned about his low radar readings in the A.L.
I guess the Yankees are allowed to be concerned about the radar gun but, as Heyman notes, his strikeout rates while pitching for the Blue Jays were solid and the division didn’t seem to phase him all that much.
I guess Zack Greinke is never going to be a Yankees target, with his anxiety issues — rightly or wrongly — being thought of as an impediment to success in New York. He’s easily the best pitcher mentioned here, though. Part of me would love to see him traded to New York as a rental, go 11-1 with a 1.01 ERA down the stretch and then walk away as a free agent saying “just not challenging enough for me, dudes.”
As for Garza: He’s from Selma, California. And I have it on pretty good authority that in Selma, California, “Garza” is slang for “Javier Vazquez.” You can look it up.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)