Jun 1, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT
Yankees people like the fact Garza is battle-tested in the American League East after acquiring too many pitchers from the National League who haven’t been able to make a seamless transition to the A.L. The Yankees seem to have little interest in Brewers stars Zack Greinke and Shaun Marcum or the other top Cubs starter Ryan Dempster, as they have concerns about Greinke in New York and Marcum and Dempster in the A.L. Even though Marcum pitched pretty well for the Blue Jays, the Yankees are concerned about his low radar readings in the A.L.
I guess the Yankees are allowed to be concerned about the radar gun but, as Heyman notes, his strikeout rates while pitching for the Blue Jays were solid and the division didn’t seem to phase him all that much.
I guess Zack Greinke is never going to be a Yankees target, with his anxiety issues — rightly or wrongly — being thought of as an impediment to success in New York. He’s easily the best pitcher mentioned here, though. Part of me would love to see him traded to New York as a rental, go 11-1 with a 1.01 ERA down the stretch and then walk away as a free agent saying “just not challenging enough for me, dudes.”
As for Garza: He’s from Selma, California. And I have it on pretty good authority that in Selma, California, “Garza” is slang for “Javier Vazquez.” You can look it up.
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 24
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 17
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 44
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 39
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)