Jun 2, 2012, 11:36 PM EDT
If you hadn’t heard, MLB made a new rule in the offseason, allowing teams to promote a player and go with 26-man rosters on doubleheader days. A lot of teams were making moves in between games of doubleheaders anyway, so it seemed like a pretty good idea to help alleviate any bullpen issues that might arise playing 18 innings.
Unfortunately, the league left a loophole.
See, the player recalled before the doubleheader doesn’t necessarily have to be the one sent down the next day to get back to 25 players. Also, the player sent down after the doubleheader doesn’t have to stay in the minors for 10 days (barring a DL move), which is the way it works following typical demotions.
The Astros this week became the first team to take advantage of that latter fact. They sent fifth starter Jordan Lyles down after Monday’s doubleheader and recalled him Saturday night to start Sunday’s game against the Reds.
By taking advantage of the loophole, the Astros essentially got to play with a 26th man for five days instead of one. Which is smart thinking on their part. Of course, being that they lost their eighth straight game Saturday, it didn’t do them a lot of good.
Regardless, MLB needs to close the loophole. Require players sent down after doubleheaders to stay in the minors for 10 days, just like everyone else.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)