Jun 2, 2012, 11:36 PM EDT
If you hadn’t heard, MLB made a new rule in the offseason, allowing teams to promote a player and go with 26-man rosters on doubleheader days. A lot of teams were making moves in between games of doubleheaders anyway, so it seemed like a pretty good idea to help alleviate any bullpen issues that might arise playing 18 innings.
Unfortunately, the league left a loophole.
See, the player recalled before the doubleheader doesn’t necessarily have to be the one sent down the next day to get back to 25 players. Also, the player sent down after the doubleheader doesn’t have to stay in the minors for 10 days (barring a DL move), which is the way it works following typical demotions.
The Astros this week became the first team to take advantage of that latter fact. They sent fifth starter Jordan Lyles down after Monday’s doubleheader and recalled him Saturday night to start Sunday’s game against the Reds.
By taking advantage of the loophole, the Astros essentially got to play with a 26th man for five days instead of one. Which is smart thinking on their part. Of course, being that they lost their eighth straight game Saturday, it didn’t do them a lot of good.
Regardless, MLB needs to close the loophole. Require players sent down after doubleheaders to stay in the minors for 10 days, just like everyone else.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 19
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)