Jun 2, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
McCarthy hasn’t pitched since May 17 due to a strained right shoulder. The 28-year-old has battled shoulder problems at various points during his career, but he managed to make it back in the minimum 15 days and will start this afternoon against the Royals.
After reinventing himself last season while posting a surprising 3.32 ERA across 25 starts, McCarthy has an excellent 2.95 ERA and 40/16 K/BB ratio in nine starts this year. He has averaged just 1.61 BB/9 since the start of last season, which is fifth-lowest among starters with at least 200 innings pitched.
As for Barton, he has really struggled in his first season back from surgery to repair a torn labrum in right shoulder, batting just .198/.325/.283 with one homer and a .608 OPS in 126 plate appearances. The 26-year-old appeared to be a useful piece for the A’s after leading the American League in walks back in 2010, but he has a lousy .208/.325/.272 batting line since. Kila Ka’aihue will handle starting first base duties for now.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)