Jun 2, 2012, 10:25 AM EDT
There were so many things to talk about in the aftermath of Johan Santana‘s no-hitter that this one flew under the radar a bit. Still, it’s pretty entertaining.
After Santana struck out Cardinals’ third baseman David Freese to complete the no-hitter, he was mobbed on the mound by teammates and coaches. But there was also someone in the pile who clearly didn’t belong. Adorned in Gary Carter’s No. 8 and a pair of jean shorts, a fan came running from right field to celebrate history.
The unidentified fan, a man who appeared to be in mid-20s and possibly intoxicated and/or euphoric, actually stuck around in the scrum for quite some time before being pulled away and tackled by two security guards. You can watch video of the celebration here. The fan comes into the frame at about the 18-second mark.
I don’t condone running on the field, but if you are going to get arrested and possibly banned from Citi Field for life, picking the first Mets’ no-hitter is a pretty good time to do it.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)