Jun 2, 2012, 5:45 PM EST
Johan Santana is feeling fine one day removed from throwing a career-high 134 pitches in last night’s historic no-hitter against the Cardinals, but he’s expected to get some extra rest before his next start.
No official announcement from the team yet, but Bob Klapisch of the Bergen Record reports that the Mets will add rehabbing right-hander Chris Young to the roster to the roster to start next week against the Nationals, likely on Tuesday. This will line Santana up to start next Friday against the Yankees on six days’ rest.
Ironically enough, Young is coming back from the same shoulder capsule surgery Santana had back in August of 2010. The 33-year-old right-hander has a 2.35 ERA and 9/5 K/BB ratio in 23 innings over his first four rehab starts between High-A St. Lucie and Triple-A Buffalo, but he has mostly been sitting in the low-80s on his fastball. The Mets originally planned to have Young make two more rehab starts, but Santana’s no-hitter has apparently changed things.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)