Jose Contreras diagnosed with UCL and flexor tendon tears

Jun 2, 2012, 2:35 PM EDT

Jose Contreras Getty Getty Images

UPDATE: The diagnosis is in on Jose Contreras and it’s not good. Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that Contreras was diagnosed with tears in his ulnar collateral ligament and his flexor pronator tendon.

His season is obviously over and given Contreras’ advanced age, there’s a chance this could be a career-ender.

11:15 AM: Scary moment last night, as Jose Contreras went to the ground clutching at his arm after throwing a pitch in the seventh inning.

The Phillies announced that Contreras left the ballgame with right elbow soreness, but manager Charlie Manuel later confirmed to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com that the veteran right-hander will be placed on the disabled list and is scheduled to undergo an MRI today.

Contreras was limited to just 17 appearances last season with a right forearm strain and began this season on the disabled list following elbow surgery last September, so there’s obvious reason for concern.

Contreras has a 5.27 ERA and 15/3 K/BB ratio over 13 2/3 innings out of the Phillies’ bullpen this season.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Jun 2, 2012 at 11:19 AM

He hurt it on the pitch before. Very sad indeed. I am not a medical doctor but the injury looked pretty serious. If I were still a betting man, I would wager that he threw his last professional pitch.

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 2, 2012 at 12:32 PM

I really believe this dude is older than he says he is, so I would have to agree if the injury is going to require surgery.

• jwbiii - Jun 3, 2012 at 2:57 AM

So is he.

Contreras said he plans to have surgery and will try to pitch again, although he knows the odds are stacked against him.

“It’s difficult having a second surgery, but I’ll see after the surgery,” he said. “It’s going to be hard, but I’ll give it a shot.”

2. xmatt0926x - Jun 2, 2012 at 2:44 PM

What a shame. His stats for the year don’t tell the story. He was working his way back into form and his stuff in the game before he got injured was incredible. It’s the best I’ve seen since he joined the Phillies. after that game I thought the Phillies 8th inning setup issues were finally fixed. Also agree with above post that he’s very likely much older than his stated age. I’ve always felt that. Yeah, some people just look older then their age but this guy looks like he’s near 50. I’m sure he’s not that old but he doesn’t look to be in his mid 30′s either.

• Francisco (FC) - Jun 3, 2012 at 11:32 AM

His stated age is 40. He could be a few years older…

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4992)