Jun 2, 2012, 2:35 PM EDT
UPDATE: The diagnosis is in on Jose Contreras and it’s not good. Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that Contreras was diagnosed with tears in his ulnar collateral ligament and his flexor pronator tendon.
His season is obviously over and given Contreras’ advanced age, there’s a chance this could be a career-ender.
11:15 AM: Scary moment last night, as Jose Contreras went to the ground clutching at his arm after throwing a pitch in the seventh inning.
The Phillies announced that Contreras left the ballgame with right elbow soreness, but manager Charlie Manuel later confirmed to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com that the veteran right-hander will be placed on the disabled list and is scheduled to undergo an MRI today.
Contreras was limited to just 17 appearances last season with a right forearm strain and began this season on the disabled list following elbow surgery last September, so there’s obvious reason for concern.
Contreras has a 5.27 ERA and 15/3 K/BB ratio over 13 2/3 innings out of the Phillies’ bullpen this season.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 37
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 15
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 41
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut