Jun 2, 2012, 2:35 PM EDT
UPDATE: The diagnosis is in on Jose Contreras and it’s not good. Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that Contreras was diagnosed with tears in his ulnar collateral ligament and his flexor pronator tendon.
His season is obviously over and given Contreras’ advanced age, there’s a chance this could be a career-ender.
11:15 AM: Scary moment last night, as Jose Contreras went to the ground clutching at his arm after throwing a pitch in the seventh inning.
The Phillies announced that Contreras left the ballgame with right elbow soreness, but manager Charlie Manuel later confirmed to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com that the veteran right-hander will be placed on the disabled list and is scheduled to undergo an MRI today.
Contreras was limited to just 17 appearances last season with a right forearm strain and began this season on the disabled list following elbow surgery last September, so there’s obvious reason for concern.
Contreras has a 5.27 ERA and 15/3 K/BB ratio over 13 2/3 innings out of the Phillies’ bullpen this season.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)