Jun 2, 2012, 6:15 PM EDT
Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that Giants’ third baseman Pablo Sandoval is being investigated by the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Department and faces possible sexual assault charges as result of an incident which allegedly took place Friday morning.
The incident allegedly took place at the Seascape Beach Resort in Santa Cruz County. Police were not called to the scene, but the woman in question later contacted authorities and said that she was was too intoxicated to give consent. She then provided a sexual assault forensic evidence kit at an area hospital.
Sandoval’s attorney, Eric Geffon, confirmed to CSN Bay Area that Sandoval did not report to AT&T Ballpark yesterday because he was being questioned by police.
“On Friday, June 1, Pablo Sandoval voluntarily met with the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Department related to a consensual, personal relationship of a sexual nature that took place on that day. Pablo fully cooperated with the Sheriff’s Department out of respect for the process. We have no further comment at this time.”
Sandoval has not been charged with a crime and the investigation is ongoing. The Giants have confirmed that he is still scheduled to report to High-A San Jose this evening to begin a rehab assignment as he makes his way back from hamate bone surgery on his left hand.
We’ll pass along information when updates warrant.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 23
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 32
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)