Jun 2, 2012, 6:15 PM EDT
Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that Giants’ third baseman Pablo Sandoval is being investigated by the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Department and faces possible sexual assault charges as result of an incident which allegedly took place Friday morning.
The incident allegedly took place at the Seascape Beach Resort in Santa Cruz County. Police were not called to the scene, but the woman in question later contacted authorities and said that she was was too intoxicated to give consent. She then provided a sexual assault forensic evidence kit at an area hospital.
Sandoval’s attorney, Eric Geffon, confirmed to CSN Bay Area that Sandoval did not report to AT&T Ballpark yesterday because he was being questioned by police.
“On Friday, June 1, Pablo Sandoval voluntarily met with the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Department related to a consensual, personal relationship of a sexual nature that took place on that day. Pablo fully cooperated with the Sheriff’s Department out of respect for the process. We have no further comment at this time.”
Sandoval has not been charged with a crime and the investigation is ongoing. The Giants have confirmed that he is still scheduled to report to High-A San Jose this evening to begin a rehab assignment as he makes his way back from hamate bone surgery on his left hand.
We’ll pass along information when updates warrant.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (124)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)