Jun 2, 2012, 6:15 PM EDT
Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that Giants’ third baseman Pablo Sandoval is being investigated by the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Department and faces possible sexual assault charges as result of an incident which allegedly took place Friday morning.
The incident allegedly took place at the Seascape Beach Resort in Santa Cruz County. Police were not called to the scene, but the woman in question later contacted authorities and said that she was was too intoxicated to give consent. She then provided a sexual assault forensic evidence kit at an area hospital.
Sandoval’s attorney, Eric Geffon, confirmed to CSN Bay Area that Sandoval did not report to AT&T Ballpark yesterday because he was being questioned by police.
“On Friday, June 1, Pablo Sandoval voluntarily met with the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Department related to a consensual, personal relationship of a sexual nature that took place on that day. Pablo fully cooperated with the Sheriff’s Department out of respect for the process. We have no further comment at this time.”
Sandoval has not been charged with a crime and the investigation is ongoing. The Giants have confirmed that he is still scheduled to report to High-A San Jose this evening to begin a rehab assignment as he makes his way back from hamate bone surgery on his left hand.
We’ll pass along information when updates warrant.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 24
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)