Jun 2, 2012, 6:15 PM EDT
Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that Giants’ third baseman Pablo Sandoval is being investigated by the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Department and faces possible sexual assault charges as result of an incident which allegedly took place Friday morning.
The incident allegedly took place at the Seascape Beach Resort in Santa Cruz County. Police were not called to the scene, but the woman in question later contacted authorities and said that she was was too intoxicated to give consent. She then provided a sexual assault forensic evidence kit at an area hospital.
Sandoval’s attorney, Eric Geffon, confirmed to CSN Bay Area that Sandoval did not report to AT&T Ballpark yesterday because he was being questioned by police.
“On Friday, June 1, Pablo Sandoval voluntarily met with the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Department related to a consensual, personal relationship of a sexual nature that took place on that day. Pablo fully cooperated with the Sheriff’s Department out of respect for the process. We have no further comment at this time.”
Sandoval has not been charged with a crime and the investigation is ongoing. The Giants have confirmed that he is still scheduled to report to High-A San Jose this evening to begin a rehab assignment as he makes his way back from hamate bone surgery on his left hand.
We’ll pass along information when updates warrant.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 9
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 79
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (79)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)