Jun 2, 2012, 8:57 AM EDT
Not sure if you’ve heard about him, but this Mike Trout fellow is pretty dang good.
The 20-year-old was in the middle of everything again last night, going 2-for-4 with a triple and three RBI in a 4-2 win over the AL West leading Rangers.
Trout got the Angels on the board in the bottom of the sixth inning with an RBI triple and then scored the tying run on a single by Albert Pujols. After making an excellent running catch to end a scoring threat in the top of the seventh, Trout put the Angels in front by dumping a two-run single in center field.
The Angels have nine wins in their last 11 games and now sit at 27-26 on the season, just 4 1/2 games behind the Rangers. Of course, Trout has been a big part of their recent resurgence, hitting .309/.370/.537 with five home runs, seven doubles, three triples, 19 RBI, eight stolen bases and a .906 OPS in 31 games since being called up from the minors in late April.
Your Friday box scores:
Braves/Nationals – PPD
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)