Jun 3, 2012, 2:43 AM EDT
The hustle is great, but Brett Lawrie‘s tendency to play baseball like a bull in a china shop has hurt the Jays from time to time. Of course, the incident that led to last month’s four-game suspension was the most notable occasion. Saturday’s showing was none too impressive, though.
With two outs in the eighth inning and the Blue Jays down to the Red Sox by two runs, Lawrie was thrown out stealing third base, sending the game to the ninth.
And that’s the kind of play that just can’t happen. It’s a situation in which the runner has to be 100 percent sure he’ll make it if he goes. Lawrie must have seen third baseman Kevin Youkilis pulled over towards shortstop with the left-handed-hitting David Cooper up and figured the Red Sox might not even try the throw. Throw they did, though, and they were able to get Lawrie even though Youkilis fell over trying to make the play.
Lawrie is a terrific talent and is one of the most entertaining players to watch in the league today. He’s also a cocky kid with plenty of growing up left to do. Blue Jays fans better hope that wisdom comes with experience because he’s going to need it to reach his potential.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (87)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)