Hawk Harrelson apologized to umpire Mark Wegner

Jun 3, 2012, 1:26 PM EDT

hawk harrelson

Last Wednesday: Hawk Harrelson said umpire Mark Wegner didn’t know a thing about baseball in this league and words to that effect.  He’s sorry about that now:

White Sox TV broadcaster Ken Harrelson called umpireMark Wegner on Saturday to apologize for his on-air criticism during the game Wednesday between the Sox and Tampa Bay Rays.

‘‘No one told me to do it,’’ Harrelson said. ‘‘I felt bad after I sat down and thought about it, so I called him and left him a message.’’

Then he took sixteen Advils.

1. Utley's Hair - Jun 3, 2012 at 1:31 PM

He then called his gastroenterologist to schedule an appointment for sudden pain in his stomach.

• Gordon - Jun 3, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Nah, he’ll jut take some more Advil for that pain.

2. 69jaredallen69 - Jun 3, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Hope the next Hawk article reads the headline “He Gone!”.

Worst play by play guy in the league

3. kingbuccaneer - Jun 3, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I’m soooo sick of hearing this guy… please just let him fade into the sunset.

Honestly, he’s not even that knowledgeable as a broadcaster. I could name at least 10 that follow the game (not just their team) and make quality assessments of what’s going on in the game their broadcasting and around the league.

• Lukehart80 - Jun 3, 2012 at 2:08 PM

“He’s not even that knowledgeable as a broadcaster.”

Understatement of the year.

• motherscratcher23 - Jun 3, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Why is this “story” getting so much ink? Is there someone out there that didn’t know that this guy is a clown?

4. drewsylvania - Jun 3, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I’d write a thank-you letter to MLB if they would run “Disclaimer: Hawk Harrelson clip upcoming” before every White Sox highlights.

5. cereal blogger - Jun 3, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Nice old man coat Hawk

6. vincentbojackson - Jun 3, 2012 at 8:20 PM

HE WRONG!!!!

7. wkinsomnia - Jun 3, 2012 at 9:53 PM

@69Jaredallen69

He may not be your favorite announcer, no wonder because your from Shitasota. But I grew up with the guy as my teams Broadcaster. And up until four or five years ago he was not a displeasure to listen to. You want to talk about horrible announcers, let’s talk about Paul ‘MN Homer of the Century’ Allen. If I had to listen to him announce my teams football games I would f’ing choke the life out of him. What an ignorant, loudmouthed homer he is. At least Chicago radio bashes their players if they f up or are playing like shit. Allen would try to convince anyone that Ponder is an A1 NFL player. I lol @ what you call announcing here in MN. Enjoy another year w/o a Super Bowl Viqueen fans. You should be thanking your lucky stars you even have a stadium for your piss poor team to play in still.

• cur68 - Jun 4, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Can football season get her sooner, please? Just so all the PFT commenters can go back to where the belong? Jeez.

8. wkinsomnia - Jun 4, 2012 at 1:00 AM

@cur68

Seriously?, your funny. I live and breathe baseball. I live in MN now and go to a minimum of 20 games a year here. When the White Sox play the Twins in MN I’m there and I even sprinkle in some random games here and there. Don’t comment in things others speak of when the only games you watch are from your couch.

9. yankeepunk3000 - Jun 4, 2012 at 6:27 AM

this guy seems to get extreeme nix reactions either pple love his homer attitude or hate him..I love him as a commentator but for all the wrong reasons.. I can’t stand biased commentators yet he is SO EXTREMELY BIASED it makes me love watching him..he is very unprofessional, and i would think a man his age would show a little more restraint. I watch a few white sox games just to laugh at The things he says he truly takes away from the game and needs to learn how to hold back some emotion but like they say can’t teach an old dog new tricks…

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3893)