Jun 3, 2012, 8:40 PM EDT
The Orioles are already without two-thirds of their outfield with Nolan Reimold and Nick Markakis on the DL. Now they’re holding the breath awaiting word on Adam Jones, who will undergo an MRI on his right wrist Monday.
Jones has been feeling pain in the wrist for weeks, and he had X-rays after coming out of Sunday’s game in the ninth inning for a pinch-hitter. Those came back negative.
“It just didn’t feel right,” Jones said. “I can feel it when I’m hitting. [The doctors] wanted to get a picture of it, and I wanted to get a picture of it, and see what’s going on in there so we can be sure and relieve any doubt.”
The timing is interesting, given that Jones just signed a new six-year, $85.5 million contract extension a week ago. The wrist injury obviously predates that agreement. However, it’s not like the wrist has been hurting his performance at all. He smacked two homers in a game Tuesday, and he’s currently sporting a .965 OPS after “bottoming out” at .905 on May 13.
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 6
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 35
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 44
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)