Jun 3, 2012, 8:40 PM EST
The Orioles are already without two-thirds of their outfield with Nolan Reimold and Nick Markakis on the DL. Now they’re holding the breath awaiting word on Adam Jones, who will undergo an MRI on his right wrist Monday.
Jones has been feeling pain in the wrist for weeks, and he had X-rays after coming out of Sunday’s game in the ninth inning for a pinch-hitter. Those came back negative.
“It just didn’t feel right,” Jones said. “I can feel it when I’m hitting. [The doctors] wanted to get a picture of it, and I wanted to get a picture of it, and see what’s going on in there so we can be sure and relieve any doubt.”
The timing is interesting, given that Jones just signed a new six-year, $85.5 million contract extension a week ago. The wrist injury obviously predates that agreement. However, it’s not like the wrist has been hurting his performance at all. He smacked two homers in a game Tuesday, and he’s currently sporting a .965 OPS after “bottoming out” at .905 on May 13.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)