Jun 3, 2012, 8:40 PM EDT
The Orioles are already without two-thirds of their outfield with Nolan Reimold and Nick Markakis on the DL. Now they’re holding the breath awaiting word on Adam Jones, who will undergo an MRI on his right wrist Monday.
Jones has been feeling pain in the wrist for weeks, and he had X-rays after coming out of Sunday’s game in the ninth inning for a pinch-hitter. Those came back negative.
“It just didn’t feel right,” Jones said. “I can feel it when I’m hitting. [The doctors] wanted to get a picture of it, and I wanted to get a picture of it, and see what’s going on in there so we can be sure and relieve any doubt.”
The timing is interesting, given that Jones just signed a new six-year, $85.5 million contract extension a week ago. The wrist injury obviously predates that agreement. However, it’s not like the wrist has been hurting his performance at all. He smacked two homers in a game Tuesday, and he’s currently sporting a .965 OPS after “bottoming out” at .905 on May 13.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)