Jun 3, 2012, 4:30 PM EST
After nearly a decade of hearing about the lack of civility in modern online media, allow me to be the first to chant “one of us … one of us … we accept you” at the folks behind the fun dustup between the New York Daily News and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch over Johan Santana‘s no-hitter from Friday night.
First volley:* The Post-Dispatch’s placing a large asterisk on the Johan Santana no-hitter in its Saturday morning edition, pictured to the right.
Return volley:* The New York Daily News, today:
Apparently, the Post-Dispatch couldn’t locate the asterisk key while Mark McGwire was swatting 220 steroid-aided home runs while a member of the Cardinals and setting bogus records in St. Louis.
Of course the best thing about this is that, when print media is involved, it takes three days for a flame war to develop. I think Mets and Cardinals fans online had this thing argued out, hashed over and then resolved before midnight on Friday.
*Bonus points to the NYDN I-Team Twitter feed for noting that, while it may take print media three days to have a flame war, they can at least spell, which I could not, having originally spelled it “volly.” Touche, print media. Touche.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (291)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)