Jun 3, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
After nearly a decade of hearing about the lack of civility in modern online media, allow me to be the first to chant “one of us … one of us … we accept you” at the folks behind the fun dustup between the New York Daily News and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch over Johan Santana‘s no-hitter from Friday night.
First volley:* The Post-Dispatch’s placing a large asterisk on the Johan Santana no-hitter in its Saturday morning edition, pictured to the right.
Return volley:* The New York Daily News, today:
Apparently, the Post-Dispatch couldn’t locate the asterisk key while Mark McGwire was swatting 220 steroid-aided home runs while a member of the Cardinals and setting bogus records in St. Louis.
Of course the best thing about this is that, when print media is involved, it takes three days for a flame war to develop. I think Mets and Cardinals fans online had this thing argued out, hashed over and then resolved before midnight on Friday.
*Bonus points to the NYDN I-Team Twitter feed for noting that, while it may take print media three days to have a flame war, they can at least spell, which I could not, having originally spelled it “volly.” Touche, print media. Touche.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 103
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 152
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (164)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (152)