Jun 3, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
After nearly a decade of hearing about the lack of civility in modern online media, allow me to be the first to chant “one of us … one of us … we accept you” at the folks behind the fun dustup between the New York Daily News and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch over Johan Santana‘s no-hitter from Friday night.
First volley:* The Post-Dispatch’s placing a large asterisk on the Johan Santana no-hitter in its Saturday morning edition, pictured to the right.
Return volley:* The New York Daily News, today:
Apparently, the Post-Dispatch couldn’t locate the asterisk key while Mark McGwire was swatting 220 steroid-aided home runs while a member of the Cardinals and setting bogus records in St. Louis.
Of course the best thing about this is that, when print media is involved, it takes three days for a flame war to develop. I think Mets and Cardinals fans online had this thing argued out, hashed over and then resolved before midnight on Friday.
*Bonus points to the NYDN I-Team Twitter feed for noting that, while it may take print media three days to have a flame war, they can at least spell, which I could not, having originally spelled it “volly.” Touche, print media. Touche.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)