Jun 3, 2012, 6:08 PM EDT
It was Francisco Liriano on Thursday. Felipe Paulino did it Friday. And now Kansas City’s Vin Mazzaro is the latest pitcher to shut down the A’s, throwing six scoreless innings Sunday as the A’s were shut out for the 11th time this season.
No team since 1918 had ever been shut out 11 times in its first 53 games, as the A’s have. The 2005 Astros were the last of the 12 teams since 1918 to have gotten shut out 10 times through 53 games.
Mazzaro, a former A’s pitcher who was traded to the Royals for David DeJesus prior to the 2011 season, entered the day with a 5.12 ERA in 40 starts and 10 relief appearances as a major leaguer.
14 Athletics players have amassed at least 60 at-bats this season. Six of those 14 guys are hitting under .200. Josh Reddick and Collin Cowgill are the only ones hitting even .250, and Cowgill, with one extra-base base hit in 61 at-bats, has a .279 slugging percentage to go along with his .262 average. Seven of the 14 players are slugging less than .300.
Shortstop Cliff Pennington went 0-for-3 today, extending his hitless skid to 29 at-bats.
Today’s result must have made Luke Hochevar feel all the worse. The former No. 1 overall pick gave up six runs to the A’s on Saturday in what turned out to be a 9-3 loss for the Royals. Excluding that one, the A’s have scored a total of eight runs in their last seven games.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona