Jun 3, 2012, 6:08 PM EDT
It was Francisco Liriano on Thursday. Felipe Paulino did it Friday. And now Kansas City’s Vin Mazzaro is the latest pitcher to shut down the A’s, throwing six scoreless innings Sunday as the A’s were shut out for the 11th time this season.
No team since 1918 had ever been shut out 11 times in its first 53 games, as the A’s have. The 2005 Astros were the last of the 12 teams since 1918 to have gotten shut out 10 times through 53 games.
Mazzaro, a former A’s pitcher who was traded to the Royals for David DeJesus prior to the 2011 season, entered the day with a 5.12 ERA in 40 starts and 10 relief appearances as a major leaguer.
14 Athletics players have amassed at least 60 at-bats this season. Six of those 14 guys are hitting under .200. Josh Reddick and Collin Cowgill are the only ones hitting even .250, and Cowgill, with one extra-base base hit in 61 at-bats, has a .279 slugging percentage to go along with his .262 average. Seven of the 14 players are slugging less than .300.
Shortstop Cliff Pennington went 0-for-3 today, extending his hitless skid to 29 at-bats.
Today’s result must have made Luke Hochevar feel all the worse. The former No. 1 overall pick gave up six runs to the A’s on Saturday in what turned out to be a 9-3 loss for the Royals. Excluding that one, the A’s have scored a total of eight runs in their last seven games.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 55
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)