Jun 3, 2012, 10:17 AM EDT
Reader 1943mrmojorisin1971 alerted me to a play I didn’t see last night. Rangers-Angels game. Seventh inning. Angels up 2-1, Mike Trout on third and Kendrys Morales at the plate. Morales lifts a fly ball to right and Nelson Cruz fields it. Trout tags up and races home. The call … safe! Angels score what proved to be the game-winning run. Watch the play here.
Catcher Yorvit Torrealba freaked out, thinking he made the play and was ejected almost immediately. To be fair, it was close. You gotta give the ump the benefit of the doubt there, right?
Well, maybe you do if home plate Tim McClelland is anywhere near the freakin’ play:
Yes, that’s cropped, but watch the play and you see that McClelland is a good three feet outside of the circle on the grass off to the right in the pic. Torrelaba mentioned that after the game too, saying “I was trying to block the plate, but I don’t think he was in the right position to tell if he was out or safe,” which — though 100% correct — may be enough to get him a small fine on top of his ejection.
Missed calls happen. But there are ways to limit the number of missed calls. One of them is by having the umpire in position to make them. In this case, that didn’t happen.
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 48
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)