Jun 3, 2012, 10:17 AM EDT
Reader 1943mrmojorisin1971 alerted me to a play I didn’t see last night. Rangers-Angels game. Seventh inning. Angels up 2-1, Mike Trout on third and Kendrys Morales at the plate. Morales lifts a fly ball to right and Nelson Cruz fields it. Trout tags up and races home. The call … safe! Angels score what proved to be the game-winning run. Watch the play here.
Catcher Yorvit Torrealba freaked out, thinking he made the play and was ejected almost immediately. To be fair, it was close. You gotta give the ump the benefit of the doubt there, right?
Well, maybe you do if home plate Tim McClelland is anywhere near the freakin’ play:
Yes, that’s cropped, but watch the play and you see that McClelland is a good three feet outside of the circle on the grass off to the right in the pic. Torrelaba mentioned that after the game too, saying “I was trying to block the plate, but I don’t think he was in the right position to tell if he was out or safe,” which — though 100% correct — may be enough to get him a small fine on top of his ejection.
Missed calls happen. But there are ways to limit the number of missed calls. One of them is by having the umpire in position to make them. In this case, that didn’t happen.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)