Jun 3, 2012, 10:17 AM EDT
Reader 1943mrmojorisin1971 alerted me to a play I didn’t see last night. Rangers-Angels game. Seventh inning. Angels up 2-1, Mike Trout on third and Kendrys Morales at the plate. Morales lifts a fly ball to right and Nelson Cruz fields it. Trout tags up and races home. The call … safe! Angels score what proved to be the game-winning run. Watch the play here.
Catcher Yorvit Torrealba freaked out, thinking he made the play and was ejected almost immediately. To be fair, it was close. You gotta give the ump the benefit of the doubt there, right?
Well, maybe you do if home plate Tim McClelland is anywhere near the freakin’ play:
Yes, that’s cropped, but watch the play and you see that McClelland is a good three feet outside of the circle on the grass off to the right in the pic. Torrelaba mentioned that after the game too, saying “I was trying to block the plate, but I don’t think he was in the right position to tell if he was out or safe,” which — though 100% correct — may be enough to get him a small fine on top of his ejection.
Missed calls happen. But there are ways to limit the number of missed calls. One of them is by having the umpire in position to make them. In this case, that didn’t happen.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 35
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 54
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 90
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (90)