Jun 3, 2012, 10:17 AM EDT
Reader 1943mrmojorisin1971 alerted me to a play I didn’t see last night. Rangers-Angels game. Seventh inning. Angels up 2-1, Mike Trout on third and Kendrys Morales at the plate. Morales lifts a fly ball to right and Nelson Cruz fields it. Trout tags up and races home. The call … safe! Angels score what proved to be the game-winning run. Watch the play here.
Catcher Yorvit Torrealba freaked out, thinking he made the play and was ejected almost immediately. To be fair, it was close. You gotta give the ump the benefit of the doubt there, right?
Well, maybe you do if home plate Tim McClelland is anywhere near the freakin’ play:
Yes, that’s cropped, but watch the play and you see that McClelland is a good three feet outside of the circle on the grass off to the right in the pic. Torrelaba mentioned that after the game too, saying “I was trying to block the plate, but I don’t think he was in the right position to tell if he was out or safe,” which — though 100% correct — may be enough to get him a small fine on top of his ejection.
Missed calls happen. But there are ways to limit the number of missed calls. One of them is by having the umpire in position to make them. In this case, that didn’t happen.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 9
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 134
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 19
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 33
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (134)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)