Jun 3, 2012, 2:10 PM EDT
Get used to this. From a bevy of MLB press releases that just filled my inbox:
Trout hit .324 (35-for-108) with six doubles, two triples, five homers, 11 walks, 16 RBI, 21 runs scored and eight stolen bases in 27 games, as the Angels turned their entire season around. Harper hit .271 (29-for-107) and led National League rookies with 21 runs scored, four triples and ten RBI.
I don’t know if you can bet on postseason awards in Las Vegas, but if you can, they’re probably gonna take the Trout-and-Harper Rookie of the Year parlay off the board soon, because barring an industrial accident, they’re it.
As for the other monthly awards:
- Player of the Month: AL: Josh Hamilton, NL: Giancarlo Stanton;
- Pitcher of the Month: AL: Chris Sale, NL: Gio Gonzalez;
- Deliveryman of the Month: Jim Johnson of the Orioles.
Why only one for all of MLB when the other awards get one per league? Because THE MAN says so, that’s why.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)