As if there was any doubt that the Astros were going to trade Brett Myers

Jun 4, 2012, 4:02 PM EDT

Brett Myers

It was pretty clever of Jeff Luhnow to turn Brett Myers into a closer this year, so as to up his trade value at the deadline (everyone wants bullpen help).  But to do that, he had to rework Myers’ vesting option language in his contract from one appropriate for a starter to one appropriate for a reliever.

Ken Rosenthal reports that the new vesting option makes it almost certain that Myers is going to go someplace at the deadline, and possibly more cheaply than anticipated:

The Astros reworked Myers’ vesting option when they converted him from a starter to closer in spring training. Under his initial deal, he needed to make only 25 starts and not be on the DL at the end of the season to guarantee his $10 million option for 2013.

The exact number of games that Myers needs to finish for his option to vest under the reworked terms is not known, but the degree of difficulty is comparable to what it was for him as a starter, according to a major-league source. The best estimate, then, is that the number is between 40 and 50.

And as Rosenthal notes, Myers is on pace to finish 57 games.  This means that, like K-Rod last year, Myers likely has setup man duties in his future on a contender so no one will have to pay that unit* to him in 2013.

*I like to use the term “unit” to refer to $10 million. I was told by a former client that this is what the newly rich — particularly Texas oilmen of the 1970s — called $10 million anyway. As in “I got my first unit in 1977, right after we struck on that land east of Fort Stockton …” and so forth.  I want to believe this is true, though I sometimes suspect I was being put on.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Boston, Yankees, Giants and Braves make sense.

• biasedhomer - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Dont forget the Phillies and their league worst bullpen ERA (may have improved a bit since last week though)

• professor59 - Jun 4, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Myers is unlikely to return to the Phillies, for a lot of reasons.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Does he have any kind of no-trade clause? If so, he’d probably exercise it to stay out of Boston…for some reason….

• jimbo1949 - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Depends on what style t shirt he’s wearing.

2. jeffa43 - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Jeff Lunhow has done more for our organization in several months of work, than Wade did in several years….

You know Wade left minute maid park in the evening, went home and put on Phillies slippers….

Getting rid of Ed Wade was just as good as picking up a MVP, and I believe I speak for thousands of Astro fans….

well, for sure hundreds, I dont know if we have thousands of fans….

Keep it up Jeff, we appreciate it.

• term3186 - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I find it hilarious that Wade got hired by the Phils after the Astros let him go…… As if he wasn’t just working for the phillies the entire time

• stex52 - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Tonight is the next test. Can they draft better than they have for the last several years?

Never fear, there are thousands of fans out there. They are just waiting to see if the organization has any respect for them as customers.

I never disliked Wade as such. The job just never seemed to be getting anywhere with him. We could have ground on for years.

3. delawarephilliesfan - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:48 PM

First “Volly”

And now “Cheaplu”?

Come on Craig, at this rate the print media will have you for lunch by the end of the week! Wear those pajamas with pride and use a spell check!

• madhatternalice - Jun 4, 2012 at 5:01 PM

What’s with the attitude? You could just leave a note that it’s a misspelling. Instead, you sound like a douche. Not saying you are one (I don’t know you from Adam), just that you sound like one in that comment.

• delawarephilliesfan - Jun 4, 2012 at 5:12 PM

I thought referencing “pajama’s” and “pride” in the same sentence would have given away a degree of levity, but I guess not.

The comment ’twas intended to be nothing more then fun.

4. stex52 - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Craig, your client probably wasn’t putting you on. More likely he was just engaging in a common Texas practice called “bragging.”

5. The Rabbit - Jun 4, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Sucks for Myers. He’s pitched well and deserves better.

• biasedhomer - Jun 4, 2012 at 7:32 PM

He will be traded to a better team? I don’t know how that is a bad thing in your eyes.

• The Rabbit - Jun 4, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I agree with you if that were the only consequence..
        Read the reference to the contract. The bigger money in today’s baseball world is “the closer”, not setup men. He’s been effective as a closer and if he’s pegged into the setup role as the new contract provisions infer, it could affect his earnings for the rest of his career.
        Yeah I think they all are overpaid, but that’s not the point, either.

6. nightman13 - Jun 4, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I got my first unit* when I was born with it.

*In this instance I am referring to my genitatus*

*Genitatus is a fictional word for reproductive organs

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (4066)