Jun 4, 2012, 6:47 PM EST
Pedro Borbon, a member of the Big Red Machine and one of the top relievers of his generation, passed away Monday after fighting cancer. He was 65.
Borbon spent 12 years in the majors, 10 of them with the Reds from 1970-79. He was an elite reliever from 1972-77, throwing at least 120 innings each of the six years. He had his best season in 1973, finishing with 11 wins, 14 saves and a 2.16 ERA in 80 appearances.
Overall, Borbon went 69-39 with a 3.52 ERA in 593 career appearances, all but four of them coming out of the pen. He pitched for two World Series champions with the Reds and had a 2.42 ERA in 26 career postseason innings.
Borbon was inducted into the Reds Hall of Fame in 2010.
“The entire organization is very sad to hear of the loss of another member of our baseball family,” Reds owner Bob Castellini said. “Pedro was an important contributor to the success of the Big Red Machine, and he always will be remembered for his colorful personality and his contributions to that wonderful time period in our history.”
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)