Jun 4, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Javy Guerra has allowed just one run in 12 innings since losing the Dodgers’ closer role to Kenley Jansen, but that includes more walks (5) than strikeouts (4) and now he’s been placed on the disabled list with right knee inflammation.
To replace Guerra on the roster and in the bullpen the Dodgers called up Triple-A right-hander Shawn Tolleson, a 24-year-old former 30th-round pick who’s posted insanely good numbers in the minors with a 1.35 ERA and 178/28 K/BB ratio in 120 total innings.
That includes a 2.82 ERA and 34/5 K/BB ratio in 22 innings between Double-A and Triple-A this season, so while Tolleson has never been considered a top prospect he certainly deserves an opportunity to show if he’s for real.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 0
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 45
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 25
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)