Jun 4, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
UPDATE: Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that Bay’s return to the Mets will be delayed by at least one day because he’s “sick.”
Jason Bay is ahead of schedule in his recovery from a fractured rib and manager Terry Collins said this morning that the outfielder is expected to come off the disabled list for tomorrow night’s game.
Initially he was slated to return on Friday and serve as designated hitter for a pair of interleague series in AL ballparks against the Yankees and Rays, but Bay apparently convinced the Mets that he’s ready now after going 2-for-6 with three strikeouts and a stolen base during a brief minor-league rehab assignment.
Bay has been out since April 23 and in his absence the Mets have used five different left fielders, but Collins has already said that he’ll resume playing every day. Bay hit .240 with three homers and a .776 OPS in 15 games before the injury.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)