Jun 4, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
UPDATE: Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that Bay’s return to the Mets will be delayed by at least one day because he’s “sick.”
Jason Bay is ahead of schedule in his recovery from a fractured rib and manager Terry Collins said this morning that the outfielder is expected to come off the disabled list for tomorrow night’s game.
Initially he was slated to return on Friday and serve as designated hitter for a pair of interleague series in AL ballparks against the Yankees and Rays, but Bay apparently convinced the Mets that he’s ready now after going 2-for-6 with three strikeouts and a stolen base during a brief minor-league rehab assignment.
Bay has been out since April 23 and in his absence the Mets have used five different left fielders, but Collins has already said that he’ll resume playing every day. Bay hit .240 with three homers and a .776 OPS in 15 games before the injury.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)