Jun 4, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
UPDATE: Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that Bay’s return to the Mets will be delayed by at least one day because he’s “sick.”
Jason Bay is ahead of schedule in his recovery from a fractured rib and manager Terry Collins said this morning that the outfielder is expected to come off the disabled list for tomorrow night’s game.
Initially he was slated to return on Friday and serve as designated hitter for a pair of interleague series in AL ballparks against the Yankees and Rays, but Bay apparently convinced the Mets that he’s ready now after going 2-for-6 with three strikeouts and a stolen base during a brief minor-league rehab assignment.
Bay has been out since April 23 and in his absence the Mets have used five different left fielders, but Collins has already said that he’ll resume playing every day. Bay hit .240 with three homers and a .776 OPS in 15 games before the injury.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)