Jun 4, 2012, 8:23 AM EST
Jon Niese was dominating the Cardinals when he left last night’s game. But the reason he left was not because he had no more worlds left to conquer, but because of the return of a problem he faced last year: a rapid heartbeat or, as the doctors call it, tachycardia.
This happened to him late last June in Texas. Afterwards he said it happened before that as well. He went through a battery of tests at at the time, including an electrocardiogram, echocardiogram and a treadmill stress test, all of which came back normal. He didn’t miss a start after it occurred in 2011.
Presumably he’ll be examined again. And hopefully this is just something that happens to him and doesn’t portend any greater health problems and no missed time.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 15
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)