Jun 4, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
Jon Niese was dominating the Cardinals when he left last night’s game. But the reason he left was not because he had no more worlds left to conquer, but because of the return of a problem he faced last year: a rapid heartbeat or, as the doctors call it, tachycardia.
This happened to him late last June in Texas. Afterwards he said it happened before that as well. He went through a battery of tests at at the time, including an electrocardiogram, echocardiogram and a treadmill stress test, all of which came back normal. He didn’t miss a start after it occurred in 2011.
Presumably he’ll be examined again. And hopefully this is just something that happens to him and doesn’t portend any greater health problems and no missed time.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 22
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 24
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 32
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (118)