Jun 4, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Last season Nicasio was struck on the side of the head by a line drive on August 5 and Saturday while moving out of the way of another liner back up the middle the 25-year-old right-hander twisted his leg.
He was able to limp off the field under his own power, but the Rockies will send Nicasio for an MRI exam anyway and wasted little time placing him on the DL with what they’re calling a left knee strain.
Because of off days on the schedule the Rockies could simply skip Nicasio’s turn in the rotation a couple times while hoping he can return after the minimum 15 days. His 5.28 ERA isn’t pretty, but considering what Nicasio had to come back from his 54/22 K/BB ratio in 58 innings is encouraging.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 32
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 40
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 111
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (189)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (111)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)