Jun 4, 2012, 8:21 PM EDT
No. 11 – Oakland Athletics – high school SS Addison Russell
The A’s buck their trend and go with a high school player in the first round for the first time since the Jeremy Bonderman selection had Billy Beane throwing chairs in 2001. Russell projects as a third baseman in the eyes of most, but the A’s will probably leave him at shortstop for now. He’s a right-handed hitter with 15- or 20-homer potential.
No. 12 – New York Mets – high school shortstop Gavin Cecchini
The Mets drafted Cecchini as a shortstop, but many believe he’ll move to second base. His brother, Garin, was a fourth-round pick of the Red Sox two years ago. Cecchini has great speed and some doubles power. There probably isn’t any superstar potential here, but he has a better chance of becoming a regular than most of the other high school guys under consideration in round one.
No. 13 – Chicago White Sox – high school OF Courtney Hawkins
At 6’3″, 220 pounds, Hawkins offers big-time power. He’s a center fielder at the moment, but he’ll probably end up in right field, where his arm should be a big-time asset. His ability to make contact will be the question mark as he enters pro ball. The home runs might come with all too many strikeouts.
No. 14 – Cincinnati Reds – high school RHP Nick Travieso
The 18-year-old Travieso offers a 91-94 mph fastball and an excellent slider that should be a strikeout pitch in the majors. If he had a better changeup, he likely would have gone higher. He’ll have plenty of time to work on that now, though.
No. 15 – Cleveland Indians – Texas A&M OF Tyler Naquin
Naquin is a left-handed hitter with gap power, but some were skeptical about him as a bit of a tweener: he may not have the speed for center or the bat for a corner. The Indians obviously think he’ll be more than a fourth outfielder. He did have nice numbers this season, batting .380/.458/.541 in 242 at-bats for the Aggies.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 2
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 21
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 41
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)