Jun 4, 2012, 6:18 PM EST
Starlin Castro is the Cubs’ best player, but his rookie mistakes aren’t so endearing now that he’s in his third season.
With the Cubs up 2-1 in the fifth inning of Monday’s game and the Giants having the bases loaded with one out, Brandon Crawford hit a grounder to second baseman Darwin Barney. Barney made the throw to Castro covering at second, only to watch in dismay as Castro merely tagged the bag and started jogging off the field.
As it was, the ball was probably hit too slowly to be turned into an inning-ending double play anyway. Still, Castro almost surely would have attempted to turn it had he known the number of outs. His gaffe, on a play on which the Giants tied the game, earned him a disgusted look from starting pitcher Jeff Samardzija, and manager Dale Sveum wasn’t all that successful in covering up his own disappointment.
In Castro’s defense, he has seemingly cut back on the mental mistakes this season. He probably made more than any player in the league last year. Castro is just 22 and still has plenty of room to grow. The Cubs, though, are likely to be awfully upset if anything like this happens again anytime soon.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 76
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)