Jun 4, 2012, 6:18 PM EDT
Starlin Castro is the Cubs’ best player, but his rookie mistakes aren’t so endearing now that he’s in his third season.
With the Cubs up 2-1 in the fifth inning of Monday’s game and the Giants having the bases loaded with one out, Brandon Crawford hit a grounder to second baseman Darwin Barney. Barney made the throw to Castro covering at second, only to watch in dismay as Castro merely tagged the bag and started jogging off the field.
As it was, the ball was probably hit too slowly to be turned into an inning-ending double play anyway. Still, Castro almost surely would have attempted to turn it had he known the number of outs. His gaffe, on a play on which the Giants tied the game, earned him a disgusted look from starting pitcher Jeff Samardzija, and manager Dale Sveum wasn’t all that successful in covering up his own disappointment.
In Castro’s defense, he has seemingly cut back on the mental mistakes this season. He probably made more than any player in the league last year. Castro is just 22 and still has plenty of room to grow. The Cubs, though, are likely to be awfully upset if anything like this happens again anytime soon.
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 1
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 5
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 5
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 21
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 88
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)