The fan who rushed the field after Santana’s no-hitter missed his son’s first birthday party

Jun 4, 2012, 3:30 PM EST

jeanshortguy

D.J. wrote on Saturday morning about the jersey-wearing Mets fan who rushed the field after Johan Santana‘s no-hitter and joined in the on-field celebration until security figured out that it was not, in fact, the ghost of Cary Carter, wearing jorts, coming back to revel in the historic accomplishment.

As that went to press, we did not know who the trespasser was. Now we do: Rafael Diaz, age 32.  And he’s probably in big trouble with the mother of his son:

Diaz paid a stiff penalty, both at home and Citi Field.

He missed his 1-year-old son’s birthday party Saturday, and the Mets have banned him for life from their home park.

“That’s the bad part,” Diaz said of missing his son’s bash.

Balloons from the party were still all around his home yesterday.

I believe the children are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way. Because so many of their parents are impulsive jorts-wearing doorknobs without any sense of priorities.

1. rollinghighwayblues - Jun 4, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Something tells me this will be the son’s favorite story, ever.

This story being told over some dorm room beers, “Oh yeah? While I was blowing out my birthday candles for my first birthday*, my father proceeded to storm Citi Field wearing jean shorts and a Gary Carter authentic jersey and celebrated with the entire Mets team as Johan Santana threw the team’s first no-hitter…no I am being completely serious.”

*I do not have children so I’m not sure I’m not completely sure if they’re able to blow out candles at such a tender age.

2. RedHeadedBastard - Jun 4, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Father of the Year!

3. The Common Man - Jun 4, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I believe that the most disconcerting part of this story is that the jhorts-sporting arrestee in question is also a pilot, upon whose good judgment the lives of actual people hang. /shudder

4. stripesbynw - Jun 4, 2012 at 3:46 PM

who cares? The kid is one. Won’t remember a thing.

• Nick C - Jun 4, 2012 at 3:55 PM

True. But mom will never forget nor let dad do so.

5. Jonny 5 - Jun 4, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Well, the kid won’t even remember him being there anyway. 1 year old humans aren’t very smart yet. I’ve been told Dogs are equal in mental capacity to a 3 year old, so a 1 year old is right around squirrel I.Q. give or take a point or two.

• cur68 - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Aren’t you in a life or death grudge match with your neighborhood squirrels? If I’m not mistaken, they’ve even taken your yard hostage a time or 2 and you’ve been forced to leave food out for them so that they don’t destroy your patio furniture etc. Must be ’cause they’re Philly Squirrels: they bad.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Yeah, but the little SOB’s still wouldn’t remember who went to their last birthday party though.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 4, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Don’t forget about Jonny’s massive behemoth of a deck.

• cur68 - Jun 4, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Jonny’s deck, AKA “SquirrelLand”, a place where where no nut is safe and all life forms without a tail are subject to fur-tax: pay up in peanuts or the fur will fly. Admit it, the Phanatic is just a mutant Philly squirrel on Dykstra’s left over steroids. Only thing that makes sense really.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 5, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Very good memory Cur. After making nice with the squirrels his grudge match ended however. It’s funny how food brings people (mammals)…together.

6. illcomm - Jun 4, 2012 at 3:50 PM

It’s one thing for a kid to run onto a field and act stupid. At least you can say he will learn his lesson n be better from it. It is completely different for a 32 year old father to get drunk enough to be a complete idiot n run onto the field. The punishment for these crimes should be simple embarrassment. He should be ordered to stand in front of the stadium with a sign saying I’m a drunkin idiot who rather be arrested than see my kid on his birthday.

7. quiltedgerm - Jun 4, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Are jorts not in style anymore????

8. illcomm - Jun 4, 2012 at 3:52 PM

And what is worse is the fact he can never attend a home game with his son and he will have to explain why. my prediction is his kid is 17-29 years away from doing the same darn thing.

9. Jonny 5 - Jun 4, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Cut offs are cool though right? Right??????

10. stinkfingers - Jun 4, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Way to prioritize, idiot.

11. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 4, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Making your kid a Mets fan should be considered child abuse anyway. There is a perennial champion in your hometown, and you choose the OTHER team? I don’t hate the Mets, but I don’t see how it is a tough choice for anyone to pick a team to root for.

• indaburg - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:31 PM

As a native New Yorker in the early 1980s, I chose to root for the Mets as a wee child because I pitied them. They had few fans, and most of the fans I met from the other team in the Bronx were obnoxious, arrogant, and entitled. Of course, I was teased mercilessly in school for my choice, but I was vindicated in the mid-1980s with their resurgence. There are some people who prefer to root for underdogs, hard as it may be for a Yankee fan to understand.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 4, 2012 at 6:32 PM

But then what happens when your team is good? Do you start rooting for ht new bad team? By definition, you can’t root for a good team as the underdog, so you will only be happy when your team is bad?

• Matt S - Jun 4, 2012 at 8:13 PM

There are a lot more reasons to root for a team besides them being a perennial champion, anyway. I’ve always resented fans who just opted to root for good teams.

12. number42is1 - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Can someone help me understand how these “banned for life” things are upheld? i worked with someone that did the same thing and was banned for life but he goes to games all the time.

• panealvino - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Heh. I asked the same question at the same moment.

• nategearhart - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:20 PM

It’s my understanding that if he gets nabbed for anything again he can get arrested for trespassing.

• number42is1 - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:28 PM

yup…. that much is true but i guess it means that he would have to put himself in a position to get caught…

• bigzant82 - Jun 4, 2012 at 5:32 PM

if he’s banned for life how those that work when u buy a tix do dey look for ya pics like shoplifter and say he ya not allowed in here lol

• Utley's Hair - Jun 4, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Wait…what?

• professor59 - Jun 4, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Clearly banned for life from school at age 5.

• bigzant82 - Jun 6, 2012 at 9:44 AM

clearly u HAVE NO LIFE dismissed cadet^

13. panealvino - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I always wondered: how do they ban someone from a ballpark? What are the chances that in a month, Diaz (or a friend) buys a ticket on StubHub and he shows up at Citi Field, how will anyone know? Or is this just a symbolic thing, where they say they’ve banned him so it seems like they’ve done something but where everyone knows it’s impossible to enforce?

14. mydadyourmom - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:08 PM

It’s impossible. That crazy woman who walked onto the court at the Nuggets Lakers game had been banned previously I believe.

15. Utley's Hair - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:10 PM

“…n0-hitter…” is Craig’s way of emphasizing his belief that it was a no-hitter, with 0 hits allowed, umpire calls notwithstanding.

And, no, a 1-year-old would not be anywhere near a lit candle—though, considering the aptitude of a whole lot of people around, maybe I should change would to should.

16. patriots55 - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:12 PM

What a boss

17. flyinhighwithvick - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I thought it was OK to run on the field unless it’s in Philadelphia? No?

18. trickybastard - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Wow did you really just end your article by using lyrics from Whitney Houston’s Greatest Love of All song?

19. shanabartels - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:23 PM

For the most part, these “lifetime bans” aren’t actually enforced. Not in this country, at least. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2012/04/orioles_batman_streaker_can_sports_teams_really_prevent_rule_breakers_from_coming_back_.html

• panealvino - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Good link. Thanks.

20. whodeytn - Jun 4, 2012 at 5:58 PM

======

Simply amazing.

21. professor59 - Jun 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Kids have birthdays every year. Mets no-hitters, well… That’s a once in a lifetime event!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester